Sunday, May 11, 2008

'Mi

Happy Mother's Day!

I call her 'Mi, short for Mommy. My Mom is a cool Mom. She's more fashionable than I am. Her taste in clothes, shoes, bags, make-up, how she sets and decorates our house is remarkable. She just knows the right things to buy. One look and she can give you the right size, the right fit, the perfect color. Like all the clothes and shoes she sends to my daughter, they all fit considering they haven't seen each other for almost three years now. Whereas me, I'm not good at that. My daughter has to be with me whenever I buy her things to wear.

Until now, at 59 summers, my Mom's waistline does not exceed 32 inches. It's just her. Unfortunately, that part of her genes skipped me. But my Mom, she still wears her jeans oh so perfectly, at least for her age.

My Mommy and Papa call us practically everyday. We talk like we're just neighbors updating what our lunch or dinner is or what happened during the day. It feels like they aren't miles away from us. I appreciate this thoughtfulness of
both my parents. They are always with me. Not once have I felt they left me.

My Mom, ever the adviser, always tells us to eat the right foods ("eat less rice please"), take our vitamins, not to miss routine check-ups and to my husband - "stop smoking", to always check on my daughter's needs, etcetera.

That trait of her has not changed. I remember seeing my Mom (and my Papa too) put off anything she needs for herself just to provide me and my siblings the good things in life. She always puts herself last. Sometimes even scrapping what she needs just to ensure there are still enough for the next days or months to come.

My Mom is the most generous person I know. Ever since we're kids, I remember her giving gifts to everyone she knows during special occasions. Even the water boys in the neighborhood has gifts from her. Everybody knows how a trooper my Mom is. Magaling s'yang makisama. To my mind though, it's sometimes to a fault. But that's her. She understands everyone's peculiarities.

She values relationships especially if we talk about family. Like what I've said, she's always there for her family. Always ready to help us, guide us even now that my sister, brother and I are of age. She never tires of taking care of us.

I will always have superlatives for my Mommy. This post will just go on and on talking about how I love and value my Mommy, how great she is. But words cannot really express how grateful I am that I have my Mom, the kind of Mom that she is.

All I can say is thank you for all the love and care, for all the nurturing and valued lessons you have shared with us. I am not even a quarter of what you are but I'm getting there. I have to thank you and my daughter for inspiring me to be a
good mother. You are a mother I am truly proud of! I love you, 'Mi!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Lynn.

    Wow,your mom is a fashion diva. Her waistline is so "I-want-to-have-that-size" moment for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOKIE, Thanks! Happy Mom's Day too!

    JULIE, Haha, I wish I was able to catch her slim figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sana ako din magmana sa mommy mo when it comes to waistline, hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. RAQ, Wish ko din 'yan, lol!

    ReplyDelete