Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Touch of the 70s

We watched Iron Man at Mall of Asia yesterday. My take about the movie in a different post. I love it though. :) More often than not, we go to a bookstore whenever we are in a mall. We trooped to Power Books and scouted for some books. I wanted something inspirational.

My daughter was able to buy her book but I did not find anything that suits my mood. I haven't finished about five books which are all gifts so maybe I shouldn't really buy any book now.

While hubby and I were on separate sections of the bookstore, we were both thinking whose music was playing. It's calming. I went to him and said the music's nice to which he agreed. He said he was thinking it's Barbie Almalbis. I was thinking it's Juris of Make Your Mama Proud (M.Y.M.P.). Her group after all loves doing remakes.

Finally he asked the sales person what's playing. It's by Angela and the CD is Folk Acustico. We both don't know who she is. Maybe we're not updated. But we know Sitti and Mocha...and even Faith Cuneta, haha. Anyway, hubby bought the CD.

A few days back I was listening to some 80s music. Now we both find ourselves drawn to listening from the musicians of the 70s. We were still toddlers during the early 70s but we are familiar with the era's discography. But for me, nothing Judas Priest or Led Zeppelin and the like. There are some songs I come to like depending on the rendition. One example is Wild Flower which I don't really like but when Martin Nievera sung it, I came to like the song even if I am not a big Martin fan. He just sung it so well and full of emotions.

I favor what's in the Folk Acustico because the songs were sung well. Easy listening. Most of the songs in the CD were released at a later time though - 80s, 90s, y2k under the folk genre. Daughter also had her Jonas Brothers CD so we made an agreement that we will play the acoustic first and then her Jo Bro CD after. Well, she slept the whole time Angela's music was playing.

Folk Acustico includes Angela's versions of Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell), I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song (Jim Croce), Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (Carol King), Fire & Rain (James Taylor) and many more. I just feel soothed with the singer's own rendition of the songs. I already copied them in my laptop for more of my listening pleasure.

Click and play if you want to listen. Do you know what I remember hearing this song? Sharon Cuneta's version in one of her promotions for her movie, Kapatid. It's a nice song.

.
And here's the version from Joni Mitchell.

6 comments:

  1. I am an avowed 70's disco music fan. Circa Coco Banana. Yung mga Evelyn Champagne King, KC and the Sunshine Band, Chaka Khan and Rufus...naku type na type ko yan. Di ko yan panahon ah.

    Ey, you're tagged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yes I remember Evelyn Champagne King. Pati yung mga A Night to Remember, a very famous dance song when I was in high school during the mid-80s. I guess they were carry overs of the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a nice song! And yes, I do remember Sharon's version. OMG, visiting you guys made me miss blogging so much, I hope I can sustain my comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaya mo 'yan, SALEN! Haha. I blog or surf mostly night time after mommy duties. Everyone in the house are already sleeping and I'm blogging away or reading. Two of my stress relievers. Nice seeing you here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn, hubby loves old songs, waaay beyond 70's music. In fact he listens to RJ100 everySunday and can sing along when the songs are played.

    The selection you mentioned are good, at least they have a market, since those who can remember those songs have money to buy the CDs :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. JULIE, Masarap s'ya pakinggan. Easy on the ears. Ka-antok. Lol.

    ReplyDelete