Sunday, May 4, 2008

Hannah, Miley and My Girl

My husband, my daughter and I watched The Best of Both Worlds 3D Concert of Miley Cyrus last Thursday. My daughter is a great fan of Miley a.k.a. Hannah Montana. It was good! Miley has a very strong stage presence, a very powerful voice and her performance speaks so much fun. Reports have it that this 3D concert grossed a lot better than U2's. And why not, the tweens will not go alone in the theaters and in the concert venue. The parents are there to accompany them. That's why the tween market is very lucrative. To some extent, they are decision makers. They know what they want it appears because of all these bombarding from the media. Mom and Dad though still have the last say. :D

This is not related to the topic but the fashion shampoo for little girls crossed my mind. The television ad have all these pretty little misses doing some dancing and fashion show, hair flowing and all. My lord, even shampoos are being marketed for tweens like that will make a great difference with their young lives. But that is where the sensibilities of parents like us come in. We know when to put a stop to all these excesses.

Going back to Miley, me and my husband particularly love this girl's closeness with her Daddy. It's sweet and the girl is more guided with Daddy around and not just publicists. But the Vanity Fair pictorial put a little dent on my trust with Miley, the tweens' superstar. I was thinking why the need to pose with a bare back and a provocative expression on her face. She's only 15. What were the parents thinking? What's disappointing is only a few of them now can be called wholesome and a magazine cover could just put doubts now with the most popular tween idol.

Those interested with Miley know by now that she (and I guess the parents too) regretted the result of the photo shoot. It was never intended to project a sexy image of someone so young. Reading some internet news, almost 50% thinks that this will affect Miley Cyrus' career. I am not sure about that. But I don't know what to make of the revealing pictures of Miley over the internet. Some say it's not really her. But then again I don't want my daughter looking up to someone who makes a mess of herself.

As a mother, I see to it that my daughter gets to watch shows which offers good, clean, fun. And celebrities which show more of their talents than just mere projection.

Let me give my take on the good points though of The Best of Both Worlds 3D Concert. It shows Miley rehearsing hard for her concert, committing mistakes, getting nervous about it, but still carrying on. That's the fine points I noted with my daughter. That it's not all glamor out there but perseverance. Just like in school. It's not all about popularity but what matters most is being dedicated at what you do and being happy about it. I don't make a hard sell out of all these food for thoughts but I know my daughter listens to what I say.

With that, hubby, daughter and I chilled out after the movie. Haha. And non-stop High School Musical soundtrack aboard the car on the way home. :D

3 comments:

  1. i've read the news too. personally i'm on the side of those who believe that the mag photos, as well as the racy internet photos, are all part of a strategy - to prime miley for the older market. i sympathize with the photographer. kasi prior to these, i have heard the critique against her behavior during the oscar red carpet. she was posing in front of the cameras with the same come-hither look. so i wasn't really surprised when the photos came out.
    oh well, no business like show business.

    and btw, i'm putting my foot down on the shampoo at home. 3 pa lang ang anak ko :D kaya lang naging issue dito kasi na-attract din siya sa commercial. so i change the channel every time the commercial is on. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls love Hannah Montana!! They can belt out a mean "The Best Of Both Worlds" kahit mali-mali yung lyrics nila.

    Re: Fashion Girl Shampoo..ay naku, I don't like that commercial. You're right, it is promoting "kakikayan" to little girls. Yes, my girls were attracted too. In fact, they've been begging for longer hair!! Anubayan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. CESS, Oh what a strategy. She's only 15 and has a lot going for her. It's not mere luck that she's a superstar at a very young age. She's got talent and she is obviously working hard. I don't know why the hurry in making her an adult. But I'm not in showbiz (well I used to, lol, when I was still working at ABSCBN) so I wouldn't really know what's on their minds.

    COOKIE, Lol, ewan ko ba. Marketing talaga, haha. By the way, sometimes my LSS is The Best of Both Worlds na rin. And why not, I hear it in the house and in the car if daughter is traveling w/ us. :D

    ReplyDelete