Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Twilight, the Book

Finally I have read Twilight. I am so late I know but the hype did not really get into me even during the film's showing. I intended to buy Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse at the start of the Twilight cult. But these books were sidetracked by my resolve to start and finish reading first around six books gathering dust in my bookshelf. After doing that I got interested with Coelho's The Zahir and Eckart Tolle's books, The Power of Now and A New Earth.

I completely lost interest in the Twilight series. I find an overreaction to all that is Twilight. It was funny how even the thirty somethings go gaga over Twilight. It just could be too juvenile for me.

The film was released last week of November and somehow I wanted to watch it because I got intrigued with the mixed reviews over at Rotten Tomatoes. I am never influenced by movie reviews. I want to find out for myself. But I have to read it first. I don't want to buy the book though since I am not yet done with A New Earth. An e-book will do. I googled where I can download Twilight. Thank you to the very generous blogger I found on the net who posted all four books of the Twilight series for our downloading glory.

I started reading and after maybe five nights I was done. It did not beat my three day record though for Da Vinci Code. But I will definitely buy all four books. All I can say is Edward Cullen is very powerful. Now I don't blame the thirty somethings who are so into this Stephenie Meyer series. I am so into the Twilight saga now, a certified Twilight Mom.

Most women fall for the kind of man who is commanding, a little brusque but has a good heart, one who never leaves you. This is the Edward Cullen type. Seductive, mysterious, intelligent warm, beautiful, sincere, strong, authoritative but sensitive.....and I could go on and on. Perfect. (Bur a friend commented, this would be the most boring man he'd ever encounter...no challenge at all...that is funny.)

This book is popular, almost has a cult following, because it is nice to feel how an Edward Cullen loves and protects a woman. Twilight is definitely Edward Cullen. Not Isabella Swan. By the way, a good example to my tween of what not to be when the time comes that she falls in love is Bella. Not even with an Edward Cullen (or should I say especially not with an Edward Cullen).

Isabella's character was created to introduce Edward. To magnify the intensity of Edward. To make him like a god. He is the redeeming value of Twilight. And anyone who is reading the book can fill in the character of Bella and feel loved by Edward.

The story is a tug of war of feelings - to leave or not to leave, to let go or risk everything. There is nothing more. I was getting excited to the part when Edward and James (a bad vampire) will meet and give each other a good fight. Edward to the rescue of her damsel in distress. The fight should be exciting....but what the...? Where is it? It felt like the author cannot think of a better way to describe how James was taken over so the story was cut to a scene where everything's all right. This was really disappointing.

But I like it that vampires in Twilight do not sleep in coffins, can go out during the day, that they shine like diamonds when the sun strikes them. Wow, how magnificent! I want to see that for real.

During the time that the lead actor to play as Edward Cullen was being chosen, I rooted for Chace Crawford - the Nate Archibald of Gossip Girl. Robert Pattinson just doesn't cut it. He was fine as Cedric Diggory (Harry Potter) but I wanted Chace to have his big break. Haha.

Now that I've read Twilight and have watched the trailer, it figures. Robert Pattinson seemed to have given justice to the character of Edward Cullen. His personality matched the character. Chace Crawford, in my own humble opinion, is just too pretty boy to have managed a very intense role and he is not as tall as Robert. Robert may not be as good looking as his character was described in the book, but certainly, he has the aura of a perfect vampire.

Now I want to watch the film. I want to see Edward Cullen. Laugh Out Loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment