Friday, December 5, 2008

I Am in the Mood for a Long Entry Tonight


From first year high school till about my early years in college I was quite a fan of astrology and everything esoteric. I did not exactly believe in them but I was very interested. It intrigued me. I marvel about the stars, the moon, the sun, the whole solar system, the universe and what is really out there (some kind of X-Files?). Looking at the night sky I wonder how it feels like to float above the earth and witness the magnificence of the world. Without exaggeration, I am overwhelmed just thinking about it that it leaves me breathless in excitement. Such is my imagination. Vivid. Forceful. Haha.

I was also interested in meditation that a sales associate from National Bookstore looked at the twelve year old me with a "huh?" expression on her face when I handed a book about meditation. I don't think I bought it but what's clear on my mind now was buying The Black Hole instead. As an aside, this book was borrowed by the most intelligent boy in my class. So? I just have to tell that. Maybe it made me proud of myself that we're on the same league and I'm not actually weird. Juvenile thoughts.

In college, when my friends and most young ladies my age were just fond of reading about their daily horoscopes and giggle about it if it's something nice, I was taking it up seriously, almost making a career out of it. That's how great my interest was. I bought Linda Goodman's Sun Signs but it did not satisfy me. I purchased Liz Greene's An Astrological Guide to Living with Others. And it led me to Carl Jung (which is a different story). Miss Greene is a world famous Jungian analyst and runs a center for psychological astrology.

I whacked my brain in plotting the structure of my birth chart which is a first step in leading and unleashing my individual potential. Astrology after all is not just about your sun sign by virtue of your birth date. It concerns the hour you were born, the year, the place, the planetary alignments and all that jazz.

I did not exactly lose interest in all these but as college years became hectic - paper works, university organizations, friends, boyfriends, break-ups, new boyfriends, events, thesis, etcetera - all these were set aside. After graduation, I was in the middle of a new world (as all new graduates find themselves in), a more competitive world that I needed to acquaint and eventually immerse myself with (armed with the necessary guts and stamina) - the mundane, the future, the mad world, corporate elan. My interest in esotericism has no room in this life situation. Only the explainable and exact science. The stars, the moon, the sun were summarized into a seasonal weather condition which greatly affects sales forecasts, budget and profit. Period.

Until a few nights ago when my husband called me to look at the wonderful painting in the sky, I am star struck again. I remembered what I heard on the news .....Jupiter in conjunction with Venus with the crescent moon will be seen in a clear sky on December 1. It formed a smiley face. My daughter and I hurriedly went out the door and marvel at the beautiful sight. Great! It happened in our lifetime.

And according to an Inquirer article, ".....the “smiling face” will bring good luck since Venus and Jupiter are considered lucky planets. Also in luck are those born in the signs of Taurus, Capricorn and Virgo....."

I am a Taurean, the Bull. :)

***Image credit from Inquirer.net

4 comments:

  1. I know what you are talking about here, being a Psychology major, I "dabbled" with these thins,read about them and thought about them.

    Now that I am older and perhaps wiser, I know that the planets have their influences with what is happening but it takes common sense and maturity to make one's life better, without relying too much on these heavenly things to help us go through life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Julie! I am still interested with the new age just because. :) I am reading E. Tolle's books now and will post my take on his Power of Now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi lynn! ay naku, pareho tayo, ganyan din ako noon! i used to buy those annual predictions for the year based on your sun sign. i got a linda goodman book (kulay blue pa non diba) kaso, hay, kung sino man ang nanghiram di na sinoli. napag aralan ko rin ang chinese horoscopes pero di ako masyadong inclined. rabbit kasi ako, and a lot of things about the rabbit doesnt really apply to me.

    my sun sign is a scorpio, and my rising sign is also a scorpio ;) double scorpio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Ces, you're a double Scorpio, and it means the Scorpio traits are twice intensified. :D And we know what's the reputation of Scorpios. Haha, kidding. :D

    ReplyDelete