Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Being Mindful of the Present



Greenbucks asked "Are You Happy?" Now is the best time to answer that. I am happy. I'm good, my family is doing good - generally comfortable, healthy, good opportunities coming our way - so with the people I love and care about. That's what makes me happy. Without a doubt.

But there was an unsettling feeling the past weeks. It has nothing to do with anyone or anything. It's an inside job as I put it. It's me, not them, not anyone, not anything.

You know the holidays sometimes give you a lot of moments to ponder amidst busyness. I was not sad the past weeks but there are a lot of important matters I need to take care of that they are slowly taking its toll on me. For the first time in my life I do not really look forward to the holidays. I shop, I dine, I go out, I attend parties but it's as if everything is done on auto-pilot. I was not feeling any excitement at all. What else is new? Each holiday is the same. Everyday is the same thing.

Prayers work wonders. And you get your answers and your inspirations from the most unexpected places or sources.

I was browsing the internet when I chanced upon two inspirational sharing that made me realize the power of now, If I Had to Live My Life Over Again and I'd Pick More Daisies. It's not throwing caution to the wind but more on giving yourself a chance to enjoy life and experience joy every moment.

There were some movies I read about too. Like the film "100". Like "The Bucket List". One does not have to wait for something life changing (or life ending in the case of these movies) to realize that the every moment is an opportunity to seize the day. That every moment should not be spent worrying. We decide to be happy. Work on being happy.

That's another thing. For so many years I have not understood that one should work on being happy. When you're happy, you're happy. Not because you put a lot of effort on it. If you work hard for it, then that's not being happy. That's forcing things. But as I mature, I realize that you can't just sit and wait for situations that will make you a happier person. You work on it, pray for it, mindful of what really makes you happy.

I finished reading The Power of Now a few weeks ago. I don't subscribe to its teachings. In fact I have a lot of questions about most ideals written in the book. I was even asking myself why did I even bother to buy the book and why do I even bother finishing it.

But one thing rings true. Stay in the present. Be mindful of the present. Be aware of what you are doing in the present whatever it is. Savor each moment.

I don't know if this is true for most but I find myself thinking of all the things that I will do for the day the moment I wake up. In fact I check my phone in case there are messages I was not able to read the night before.

And even when I freshen up or prepare the breakfast I mentally account what I should be doing at the office or wherever it is that I will go, or the opposite also, I dread yet another day of routine. And at the office, I'm thinking how's the dinner, how's my daughter's school work, should I drop by the grocery, etcetera. I guess sometimes that stresses me out. The tasks inside and outside the home is never ending.

But what I am doing at the present is something I can enjoy. Each sip of coffee, each bite of bread, every flow of water on my body, the cool weather, the clucking noise of spoons and forks on my table, my daughter's nudges - these are experiences of my moment I should be aware of. This is the moment where I am most alive. Surprisingly being present in the moment calms me down. I am focused in everything I do at the moment such that there are no pressing matters that I leave behind.

I have not perfected it but I'm working on it.

**********

Read and then go ponder.
"If I Had to Live My Life Over Again" by Erma Bombeck

Someone asked me the other day, if I had my life to live over again would I change anything.

My answer was no, but then I thought about it and changed my mind.

If I had my life to live over again I would have waxed less and listened more.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy and complaining about the shadow over my feet, I'd have cherished every minute of it and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was to be my only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have invited friends over to dinner if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten popcorn in the "good" living room and worried less about the dirt when the fireplace was lit.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would have burnt the pink candle sculptured like a rose before it melted while being stored.

I would have sat cross-legged on the lawn with my children and never worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television....and more while watching real life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband which I took for granted.

I would have eaten less cottage cheese and more ice cream.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for a day.

I would never have bought ANYTHING because it was practical/wouldn't show soil/guaranteed to last a lifetime.

When my child kissed me impetuously, I would never have said "Later, now, go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more I love yous......more I'm sorrys......
more I'm listenings....but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute of it.... look at it and really see it......try it on..... live it
....exhaust it....and never give that minute back until there was nothing left of it.

I'd Pick More Daisies by Nadine Stair

When the late Nadine Stair of Louisville, Kentucky, was 85 years old, she was asked what she would do if she had her life to live over again.

If I had my life to live over, I would dare to make more mistakes next time.
I would relax.
I would limber up.
I would be sillier than I’ve been this time.
I would take fewer things seriously, and I would take more chances.
I’d take more trips; I’d climb more mountains and swim more rivers.
I would eat more ice cream, and fewer beans.
I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I’d have fewer imaginary ones.

You see, I am one of those people who lived sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I’ve had my moments, but if I had it to do over again, I’d have more of them. In fact, I’d try to have nothing else -just moments - one after another instead of living so many years ahead.

I’ve been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot-water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute.
If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring, and I would stay that way later in the fall.
I would go to more dances.
I would ride more merry-go-rounds.
I would pick more daisies.

3 comments:

  1. Lynn, your post has been sitting in my monitor since 8am. I do not know how to respond to this.

    You made me smile, cry, laugh and contemplate a lot.

    This is truly a wonderful post written from the heart.

    From a seemingly simple question stemmed so many thoughts, fears, feelings and reflections.

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm I really don't know what to say... Same with Julie, I think it was indeed written from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JULIE, I have my moments. :) But really I need for a second and smell the flowers so to speak. :)

    Z'RIZ, Thanks for appreciating my post. :)

    ReplyDelete