Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lipstick Jungle

The book Lipstick Jungle was given to me by a colleague two years ago as a keepsake when I moved to a different department. I started reading it but put it on hold until other books came in the way.

With the showing of Sex and the City in the big screen a few weeks ago, I thought of reading Lipstick Jungle again. Same author, Candace Bushnell. And then I saw a clip of this dramedy. I didn't know it piloted on February this year with only seven episodes because of the writers' strike. The second season starts this September. Well, I have finished season one a few nights ago.

I haven't come across a good review of it except for Nestor Torre's. Most reviews said Lipstick Jungle is a poor extension of SATC. It tried hard to offer something new but failed. It also did not help that there is almost the same series, Cashmere Mafia, aired on January, with the same plot. Woman power, friendship, the roles women play and everything else in between including affairs.

Out of curiosity I checked Cashmere Mafia. I watched some scenes. Alright, there seems to be a thin line differentiating Cashmere from Lipstick. Its stars. At least Lipstick has Brooke Shields and Andrew McCarthy. Hey, I'm an 80s child. They are worth watching in my own humble opinion if only to see how much they have reinvented themselves from the 80s brat packers that they are to a, hopefully, more substantive actors now. Think Patrick Dempsey.

I like Lipstick Jungle especially Wendy Healy's character (Brooke Shields) balancing family, friendship and being the top executive of Parador Pictures. I like her character because, though not perfect, she shows the right values both professionally and personally.

Can you have different set of values in these two worlds? No. You can't have contrasting values and it cannot be that you are upholding one value in your personal life and neglecting the same value while you are at work. Your real character shows from the different situations both at home and at work and your world in between. Isn't it that generally our decisions rely on our values?

Wendy may be so driven but her value in prioritizing the welfare of her family is also very much translated to how she deals with her career and the people she engages with. Even putting her foot down with a stage mother out to exploit her daughter in the name of hollywood success. This may be too good to be true but don't we need this kind of consistency?

I'll finish the book and I am eagerly awaiting for Lipstick Jungle's second season.

5 comments:

  1. when i saw a trailer of this on tv, my first thought was satc-inspired ito. kaya pala, same author, i didn't know =) diba brooke shields is having difficulty with her teenage daughter? that was the scene i saw

    ReplyDelete
  2. CESS, as in most dramedies, naayos din naman ang mom and daughter spat. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. RACHEL, It is. And the series too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. two contrasting characters? i havent read the book but i believe the real nature always comes out in real life barring a major upheaval that causes life changes like religion or other causes

    ReplyDelete