Friday, November 14, 2008

In Spite of the Bleeps

Not necessarily in this order at times but most of the time overlapping - my routine getting home from work would be a) check on my daughter, b) freshen up, c) have a nice, light conversation with my daughter and husband (if he's home already or not busy doing anything else) while helping prepare the dinner, d) look at my daughter's homeworks, e) have our dinner, f) freshen up/have a quick bath, g) tuck my daughter to bed (which she says I should stop doing since she's ten years old), h) browse on my emails and paper works in preparation for the next day's meetings, and when everything and everyone else is settled, i) finally go online for blogging, plurking and browsing or I read (but the former wins a lot of times).

But there had been alterations. Take for example the letter 'i'. It has been overtaken by television, me and my husband's form of relaxation at night. The culprit would be these two guys to your left. Thanks to Maxxx channel. I missed these two shows, The Daily Show and Colbert Report. And by the way, Indecision 2008 was hilarious.

Jon Stewart has earned mixed reviews. As in most reviews, you have the pro and the con. I am on the pro side. I like his deadpan humor, his wit, his coolness. Political satire, news parody at its best. Definitely not to be watched within earshot of the kids because of some words they use and cut with 'bleep'. But then again, they crystallize issues and hand them over to the suspecting public. Shows like these do give the message across clearly.

In my own backyard, there were The Sic O'Clock News and Abangan ang Susunod na Kabanata, satirical comedies which, through the years, were replaced by comedy shows which has shown a lot of form but less substance (think women in skimpy attires trying to act and deliver funny lines). I need the kind of hilarity I get from a Jon Stewart. That's the point of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment