Sunday, November 23, 2008

Horseradish Tree (Malunggay)


There is no doubt I love eating, I love food. But I used to shun away from the kitchen. I do not detest cooking but I am not at all happy with all the preparations - slicing, mincing, mixing, etcetera. I would rather do other things which I think are more productive. Oh yes, anything that has got to do with the kitchen I feel the help can very well do them. I'd rather review my take home work than sweat it out in the kitchen.

But it grew on me. Gone were the days that I cannot stay in the kitchen for even a few minutes. Now I love it! I really, really do. I may still be a mess but I take every opportunity to learn and actually do the cooking - from buying the ingredients myself to preparing everything. This is one of the activities I look forward to during weekends. It used to be a hit and miss but now I'm making good progress. The dishes I prepare for the past months actually taste like real food! Proof is the honest-to-goodness commendations of my husband and daughter. The more I get encourage to hone my latent cooking powers. :D

I also love browsing on food blogs especially those with great pictures attached to the post. It makes me marvel how they can do all these cooking so effortlessly, from simple to the elaborate dishes. And now I am participating in food memes. I would like to get to know more of what others share from their kitchen, what good finds they have which I can learn from.

For this week's Lasang Pinoy Sundays, I am sharing my own Green - malunggay (horseradish tree) which I used for ginisang monggo (mung bean stew with pork rind). Labeled as a poor man's dish, it proves to be very nutritious as the beans and malunggay are good sources of protein and vitamins. Go green!

13 comments:

  1. I didn't know the English term for malunggay tree until now, Lynn. Thanks ha hehe.

    Monggo with malunggay is also a fave at home. My kids love it. But hubby doesn't eat due to gout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Lynn,
    thanks for joining! i was craving for ginisang munggo since friday. unfortunately, we ran out of the beans:(...and i miss munggo with that slight bitter taste from the malunggay! hey, have a great week ahead and hope to see more entries from you!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice shot! i like ginisang monggo although i don't eat malunggay. yan pala ang english ng malunggay.:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love that malunggay, no choice ang kids, mahirap alisin yan sa sabaw :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. CHATS, LUNA MIRANDA, Thanks to my daughter's Home Eco book I got to know its English term too. :)

    CES, Yes, I'll be joining a lot. :)

    JULIE, It's a little tedious lang to prepare no, yung malunggay. You have to pull out each "branchlet" from the mother branch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi lynn! thanks for the drop. you should try it with corn soup too! have a great week ahead. welcome to lapis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss the dish my mom makes with malunggay, a simple soup with shrimps and lots of leaves!

    Its good also for lactating moms no? Is this your first LaPiS entry? Welcome aboard! Lets all enjoy our food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynn! Now I know the english term for malunggay, thanks to you.

    And that is one green vegetable taht I truly miss eating. Must have been 2 decades now since I last had it.

    Thanks for visiting my LaPis entry, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I so miss malunggay! We used to have this in the vacant lot beside our house and it was a familiar "sahog" to many soup dishes. :)

    Our fave thus far was fresh corn soup with malunggay - yum! This was especially helpful too when I was breastfeeding our youngest as they say it stimulates milk production.

    ReplyDelete
  10. our Dept of Health is promoting this tree for its many uses..medicinal, antiseptic plus masarap pang gulay. My La.Pi.S is up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely deicious! So glad you found a culinary passion. I certainly love it sometimes, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the picture!
    baka you know how to make malunggay soup, recipe naman dyan :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. malunggay... reminds me of mom and home!

    i agree, that's a very enticing photo :-)

    ReplyDelete