Saturday, May 30, 2009

An Affair with Books

Start them young. That's what happened to me, and to my daughter too. I started reading books before I started primary school when I was around four going five years old. I love reading my cousin's books for her English class who was in fifth grade at that time.

My unforgettable first book, More Stories on Parade. The story is still clear on my mind where the sky is within reach of the people. The lady hang her comb and her pearls just as the sky went up so they became what we know now as the moon and the stars. That time I was amazed.

I read a lot as I was growing up. Bookstores are my favorite destinations whenever I go to the mall. I save money for the books I want to buy. I also did a lot of crossword puzzles when I was pregnant with my daughter. Maybe all these helped my daughter become a voracious reader too.

I bought her books even when she was still a baby. Soft books which she can flip over as I point her the graphics and tell her about them.

Just as it was then for me, bookstores are always in our itinerary whenever we go to the mall. She reads all kinds of books - from The Giving Tree, Dr. Seuss, Lemony Snicket, Luisa May Alcott to High School Musical, Junie B. Jones, etcetera.
My mother sends her activity books as well, mostly word games. My daughter is a wordsmith.

Her inclination varies. At this point she loves reading books about middle school life and well, tween/teen lit as they call it. She loves the Amelia series, also books by Sarah Mlynowski among other authors on her shelf my mind can grasp right now.

As you can see in the mosaic below, she reads her books while waiting for our food to be served. She can't wait to get home before she flips through the pages. She also got my habit of highlighting phrases/paragraphs which are worth remembering.

These are general steps we can apply to further motivate our pre-teens to read or make them interested if they are not yet into it:

1. One thing I know is to lead by example. Books, magazines and newspapers are all over the house. In no time will the children get the habit of picking them up and reading them which they also see their parents do.

2. I'm not one to discriminate books as long as the children can relate to them. Popular books are often the way to start to get them interested in reading.

3. Magazines are welcome in the house. We subscribe to my daughter's monthly dose of tween magazine, Total Girl. She gets to read my magazines on parenting, home and living as well as his dad's Top Gear collections.

4. Start a list. My daughter and I have a our list of the books we want to read in a month. There are usually three to four books in a month. My only rule is she has to finish one first before we buy the next on the list. So far, at this time, we have both disciplined ourselves on that area.

Have a great weekend! It's raining where I am and. A cup of coffee and a good book will be fine. :)

***More about books at Photohunt.

18 comments:

  1. perfect catch for this week’s theme, and my photo is up hope you can drop by. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful glimpses of A's moments with books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a a very nice mosaic covering such a variety of situations and expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice mosaic. Great post for today's theme.
    happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started my son young on books but now he's more interested in his computer. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. It so great to see kids reading and enjoying it! I love sending my Grandkids books and my oldest one just loves reading to me on my visits there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the books my kids and I agree on reading is the bible. They love it well like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dunno... my sister and I both took to reading really young but even though my brother was surrounded by books and read to as a child, he still never developed a real love for books -- especially those with stories to tell! :S

    ReplyDelete
  9. PRETTY LIFE ONLINE, Thanks for dropping by.

    JULIE, Good thing she loves reading.

    BIM, MARIPIOSA, Thanks to Big Huge Lab for the mosaic generator. Neat. So many pictures to choose from. Good thing I came up with a few pictures that seem to go together. :)

    ECL, He might be into ebooks? Haha. But yes, the computer is a stiff competition of reading and other things in life.

    BBSGIRL, You remind me of my mom. She loves sending my daughter activity books.

    MIRAGE, Bible books for kids with illustrations, are great gifts too. :)

    YTSL, Well, different inclination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you. You write i down so well, the importants of introduce books early in life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always have a book or two with me all the time too. I feel a little lost if I don't have something to read with me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THanks for the tips about motivating kids in the aspect of reading... Thanks for sharing. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is important to encourage the little ones to read, nice post. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems you love books just as much as me. Nice selection of photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a lovely collage that shows how much your daughter loves reading. I also bought my son those "soft" books. In fact on his first birthday, I requested more "soft" books from close relatives. :) I still have them until now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful words of wisdom ~ I quite agree!

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes, my kid loves books too but we had to mould him to be like that when he was still young. great post

    ReplyDelete