Thursday, May 28, 2009

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

I have a pending post about how frustrated I was with my internet service provider. I drafted it in notepad at the height of my disappointment with the rather slow response but I will discard it now.

My intermittent connection started last week and was immediately reported to their customer care center. The connection was totally cut-off last Monday night. The first two technicians did little help which was the cause of my exasperation. The third one finally fixed the physical lines. The problem has been solved after a night and two days.

I am generally patient but a few times my patience is tested to its limit. You are tested when you are weakest. I am taking care of a lot of things the past months, weeks and days. The last thing I need is an inefficient ISP. Things that get in the way, big or small, are part of the refinement process as Joel Osteen shared.

How did I fare in my refinement process the past two days?

My patience went from good to okay to nowhere. When finally there was connection, we cannot browse when I plugged in the router. I blamed it to one of the technicians who thought of isolating the problem by dismantling the router without fixing the root cause which is a displaced and worn out connection in the post. Grrr. I was really frustrated why I even let him touch the router.

I tried my mighty best to find where in the settings of network connections and internet options could there be some reconfiguration that I needed to do so we can browse. I slept at two in the morning but nothing happened. That's me most of the time. I cannot leave something that proves to be a challenge to me. Anyway, I thought maybe because I changed the password of the broadband connection that's why we cannot browse. I updated the data of my router. It did not work.

After calling the customer care center this morning with the not-so-polite agent at the other end, I thought of checking again the router's LAN settings. I updated the password once more and checked "apply". Lo and behold, the internet connection using the router worked! I was so relieved. In this house, the router is not a luxury but a need.

I skipped clicking the "apply" function last night that's why it didn't work. Geez and I was blaming another person. I'm sorry, Mr. Technician if on my mind you were the culprit. I am reminded of these lessons again in this situation.
*Breathe and stay focused. Maybe I was so stressed out that I missed a step in updating the router's settings.
*Do not hold a person accountable unless there is enough evidence to do so, beyond reasonable doubt as they put it in court.
*If you are patient already, know still when to extend your patience. Be in control and do not let your emotions or temper control you. You will have more productive time knowing when to drop it and when to take it up.
*Don't sweat the small stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I'm over that stage. We had globe broadband before and we would waste a lot of time calling them and being sorry for ourselves. We switched to smart and it turned out their tower was very near our place so we have stable connection ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you.

    My ISP is generally okay. I hope though there won't be a repeat of what happened. :)

    ReplyDelete