Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Black Dahlia

This movie is more than two years old now but I have not watched it yet. I was glued to my laptop last night browsing about Rob Pattinson and Chace Crawford when husband nudged me to see what was on teevee. Oh, it was Josh Hartnett. He knows Josh is one of my favorites. I closed the lappie and proceeded to watch The Black Dahlia.

I heard of this movie before but have totally forgotten what's it all about. I was preparing to be bored and thought to myself that I'll sleep halfway through the movie. But I did not. If finished it at almost one in the morning. I was engrossed.

I learned this was a true case back in the 1940s but was never solved. It then has book and film adaptations. The Black Dahlia is directed by Brian de Palma which was a great part of my excitement. Demented, deranged, de Palma.

The Summary. The film's backdrop is the murder of a young lady, Betty Short (Mia Kirshner) whose case has been assigned to two police officers, Lee Blanchard (Aaron Eckhart) and Bucky Bleichert (Josh Hartnett). As the two try to follow the case, deep relations between them as well as with Kay Lake (Scarlett Johansson, Blanchard's live in love) unfolds. Blanchard became obsessive as he relates the gruesome murder to her own sister's death. Bleichert gets to the case in a more methodical way following leads until he met a daughter of one of California's richest families, Madeleine Linscott (Hilary Swank), whose family has much to do with the murder.

The Performance. Josh Hartnett broods a lot. Not a glorious performance but good enough. I would like to think he has done justice to his role - someone on the brink of obsession but gets hold of himself to tread the right path. His screen chemistry with Scarlett is no surprise as they used to be together in real life. But with Hilary Swank? That was a major surprise for me.

There is not much to say on Aaron Eckhart and Scarlett Johansson's performances. Mediocre sounds cruel. Just okay is fine with me.

I have always liked Hilary, always giving a strong presence on screen. She gave a very convincing role of a rich degenerate with long, wavy hair, pouty lips and all. Most reviews don't find her fit for the role because of her strong features. But I would like to believe she delivered the goods.

Together with Hilary, Mia Kirshner and Fiona Shaw, gave convincing performances. Mia as Betty kind of give me goose bumps. Her story was shown through reviewing tapes from her auditions. Also Fiona (Aunt Petunia in the Harry Potter series) stole scenes with her portrayal of a very disturbed mother of Madeleine.

Friendship, love, obsession. It was laid out not in an overly dramatic fashion which is how I prefer my movie. One note on obsession - Hartnett's character is drawn to Hilary's because she has a striking resemblance with the murdered girl. The production design gave the audience a feel of the 1940s no doubt. The direction is clear but suspenseful enough to make you want to follow where each scene gets you.

Normally I put up the movie poster within my post but I will skip this one as the poster gives me the creeps. I chose instead a picture of Josh Hartnett from the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment