Sunday, January 4, 2009

Remakes

On the way to church our stereo was tuned in to Magic Radio because both my husband and my daughter are fond of listening to Miguel, a thirteen year old disc jock, and Big Daddy's World's Corniest Jokes segment.

Suddenly my husband blurted, "alam mong matanda ka na 'pag nire-remake na 'yung mga kanta na favorite mo nung bata ka pa" (you know you're old when you already hear remakes of the songs you love when you were younger). I laughed at what he said. I think "Your Love" was playing sung by...I am not sure now, Katy Perry maybe....but definitely not the band from our generation, The Outfield.

I already heard remakes of Nena's 99 Luft Baloons (99 Red Balloons), New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle, Crowded House's Don't Dream It's Over, even Bangles' Eternal Flame long ago. There are so many more music from the 80s that were revived that this post would be too long if I cover them all. Before I forget, I should not go far. The Apo Hiking Society and The Eraserheads were already given tribute by several bands by virtue of Kami nAPO Muna and Ultraelectromagneticjam.

If I may just site one more, Knockin' on Heaven's Door originally by Bob Dylan has a Guns n Roses remake and done by Avril Lavigne a few years ago. Though I can still relate with Avril Lavigne and the like, this song covered three generations already - our parents, me and my husband's and my daughter's.

It used to be that we were the ones listening to remakes from our parents' generation to ours. My reaction would always be the remake is better. My reaction to remakes now? Our generation's version is a lot better. Oh boy.

As John Lennon said, music is everybody's possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment