Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Tourist

Finally I have watched The Tourist. I have wanted to watch this movie from the first time I read about it because it stars Johnny Depp. Though I am not so fond of his long hair here and his beard, still, it's Johnny Depp. I watch him not only for his looks but for his talent. He is a great actor and an accidental movie star.

I like the opening scene - Angelina Jolie under surveillance from the police working for Scotland Yard. I like it when she went out of the building looking so poised and elegant. In fact I should say looking at how beautiful Jolie is made me continue watching the film and not choosing to snooze instead.

Sometimes the film borders on the ridiculous but I guess it was deliberately done, like a satire on gangster films. It was really funny how Depp and Jolie even danced in the middle of a very critical moment. It was also funny how the crowd in the party sort of parted in half to make way for Jolie's arrival. Well, she is stunning but it was too contrived. But as I've said methinks that was the point. Emphasize the obvious.

Yes, I find the film really slow. I kept on waiting when it's going to pick up, have some action and some witty dialogues. It's not until about 70% of the film has gone when I got really interested with what is going on. Who is Alexander Pearce.

I love Angelina's gait. I love her full lips and her make-up and how she moves her head. That's about it. Johnny Depp is as usual good. Though I love him when his character is more intense or over the top, I still find him credible as a timid, unsuspecting Math teacher here.

Paul Bettany is also good, I love his accent. I remember him as Silas from The Da Vinci Code. This guy should be given more breaks. Timothy Dalton is a lot better when he stopped playing James Bond.

This movie grew on me. I thought it will just be one of those movies I've watched because I love The Depp. Well, yes it is but the twist, which I quite suspected, leaves me snickering. Nice one. This will make you say I knew it all along and leaves you quite satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment