Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Lost Symbol

Finally I've finished The Lost Symbol (TLS) by Dan Brown late last night. (Thanks to Julie for the book.) I often say that if you've ever read one or two books of Brown, you have read each of his books. You are just waiting for the catch. And you probably know what the catch is even before you reach the middle of the story. The clues in TLS book did not come right away but still, you can already predict long before or somewhere near the climax of the story.

I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code (the book, not the movie) but after that, everything else I read from his books is just too Dan Brown. Predictable. Formulaic. Too contrived. Add more synonymous words or phrases here.

As for TLS, it was a roller coaster ride for me. At some point I was bored, I got excited on a few. A lot of situations are just too forced. Some conversations to emphasize I-don't-know-what-point are just too long. They can actually be deleted. One example I can't believe Brown even included here is how Katherine, the Noetic scientist, was able to weigh the human soul. Geezaz. Right. The way it was delivered here was really mediocre.

The build up on the national crisis fell short. In these days when scandals of high profile celebrities and "important" people can be categorized as common, who else gets shocked in a magnitude that will stun the world as described in the book.

This Dan Brown book is actually a soap opera, a high tech soap opera. The climax was good. The mother in me was touched. That twist satisfied me though I already guessed what it could be while nearing that part of the story. I excitedly read on to see if my theory was right. I felt victorious, lol.

I cannot find any reason why such a respected, intelligent Harvard professor can be duped twice. One, a phone call from a supposed assistant of his mentor. Second, a police woman in a hurry informing him about the state of his friend. The situations are just too obvious not to be in doubt.

I cannot find any reason also why after such a heartbreaking revelation about Langdon's friend's son was suddenly set aside by everyone to talk about "the lost symbol". Recovery from the revelation was so easy, huh. I thought it will end there but there are still a few pages left.

I was waiting for this book to end. I was really interested with their conversation about the power of one's mind - what your mind can perceive, your body can achieve. But heck, it's just too long. I will gladly read The Secret again.

One engrossing part for me is how Washington D.C. and the Capitol building were described. Looking out for all those symbols and signs would be very fun.

I still praise the research mixed with fiction on how the dots connected but there were so many scenes are like a repetition of the previous scenes. Doubts, surprised reactions, being convinced...and the cycle goes on.

There are no new developments in this book. What could have been a great plot that should have been explored, exploited further is about Mal'akh. That could have been more interesting.

2 comments:

  1. i hope i also find time to read. mi miss reading books like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading is one of my stress relievers (even if the book is not really that good). Sometimes it takes me forever to finish one. Lol. Hope you find time to read and thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete