Sunday, November 1, 2009

Michael Jackson, This Is It!

I have been waiting for Michael Jackson's This Is It as soon as it was announced there is going to be a documentary of the concert to be shown in theaters. As the day of the premiere gets nearer I couldn't help but quietly anticipate the movie. It was a mixed feeling. I was happy I will be able to watch him sing and dance on stage even if they will just be snippets of the whole O2 concert. There was a tinge of sadness and then longing that this was the last time he will ever produce and perform.

At last I have watched it with my husband and daughter. See even children love Michael Jackson. They didn't even know much about him until his death which was a world wide news. He was very endearing. His appeal made a mark across generations.

I eagerly waited for the sneak previews to end and sit comfortably and savor what MJ will offer to his fans all over the world. On my mind this could be too commercialized and will only have a few footage of his actual rehearsal. I was just too happy to watch how much respect this documentary gave Michael Jackson.

His passion for his craft was very clear. I saw a very healthy and enthusiastic Michael Jackson. Reports said he dragged himself to his rehearsals and appear tired. None of these were obvious in the documentary. Everyone felt his enthusiasm and his energy.

All of fifty years and yet he danced like every bone in his body was made for the fluid moves and glides he makes.

There was no body double for this documentary. Everything was MJ. One, people can feel if there is anything fake here. Two, that will be too obvious as MJ has a certain move, sound and smile that no impersonator can consistently imitate.

MJ ran the show. Kenny Ortega was the director but Michael always has the final say. He knows what to do. His ideas seem to crop up in an instant. He was one creative person indeed.

This movie showed how meticulous he was. He wanted everything perfectly done. He was supportive of his team. He wanted them to shine. A very secured person Michael Jackson was in that sense.

He was a great leader, always inspiring his people, always calm and collected dealing with them.

The man was thin yes, but it never looked like he lived on drugs as was reported. I looked beyond the reputation the tabloids created of him through the years. Here was a man truly dedicated to his craft. That was pretty obvious if we are to look at his past performances. Just that his personal life was more of an interest than how he was as a producer, director, singer, dancer. This Is It had given us a glimpse of how he was sans all the controversies and grandiose lifestyle.

I even liked the way he looked in this documentary. Never mind that black heavily padded blazers, he was awesome! He knew what he wanted on stage. He looked manly with his long hair down, chewing gum and reviewing some scenes and auditioning dancers.

He was a great motivator. It makes me wonder why he wasn't able to do it to himself. As the fans said..."F-U-*-K the press! Michael, you're the best!" I hope to God he knew he was the best and hoped the he lived his life the best way he could. Maybe things will be different. For the life of me, I don't know why "legends" should end quite tragically. Their untimely end adds to their enigma? I could only wish that MJ's death is a hoax. Reality check....

Michael was a gift. I am glad there is This Is It, a concert documentary of the greatest performer that ever lived. I will definitely buy the DVD and will complete all the DVDs of his past concerts.

I clapped excitedly as the movie begun. I clapped admiringly with the rest of the audience as the show ended. Let me say this once again, Michael Jackson is the man!

No comments:

Post a Comment