Sunday, October 18, 2009

Basic Customer Service Goes A Long Way

I must say if there is one thing that Typhoons Ondoy and Pepeng taught me, it's to be more consciously appreciative of what I have, most especially my relationships with my loved ones and with the people I encounter daily, strangers or not. Be more patient. Know what really matters. These are the things I have developed through the years but now more than ever, I have learned to be consistent in demonstrating them when the situation calls for it.

This attitude manifests even on the simplest, most trivial things. Like my internet connection. My connection for two days now have been intermittent again. Yes, intermittent again. This was the scenario for three weeks last September up to the
first 3 days of October
. I almost jumped for joy when it finally stabilized. But barely two weeks the connection is crappy again. The complaint period was longer than the good service I was having. I am paying for this service and being a loyal customer, I deserve a 100% functional DSL at any given time.

I admit the intermittent issue got the better of me for an hour or so. I attributed it to my PMS but right away I felt sorry I was not able to get hold of my temper. There were other productive things to do on a Saturday afternoon than worry myself over an internet connection.

I made an action plan about this, moved on and did not bother myself about the connection. It also helps that the customer service of Bayantel DSL is generally respectful especially the one I've talked to today. I regret I was not able to get his name. His customer service is ideal and worthy of emulation by his peers. Of all the customer tech support reps, he was the most logical I've talked to.

I know that he is protecting their brand, careful of what he was saying but I know too he sincerely empathized with me as a disgruntled, frustrated customer. He did not answer me with scripted, generic phrases. This is his job and he's doing it great. Let me applaud him for that. I will get his name later so I can commend him when I send an email to their department.

I have talked about the intermittent connection of Bayantel DSL twice or thrice in this blog. Let me just say also that the reason why I haven't left Bayantel DSL yet after all the complaints is that there are people who listens from the other end. A few are knowledgeable, some are just okay, tolerable. I just don't know why their technicians cannot pinpoint the cause of the problem. In any case, Bayantel DSL's recurring intermittent connection will be the reason why I will change ISPs, but pray tell, what is a better choice? PLDT DSL so my neighbor said. We'll see if I will get convinced in the next weeks to come.

Good interaction is vital in any transaction no matter how small it is. Simple things mean a lot. These simple things I get to appreciate now more than ever. It does not mean I will be passive about the whole thing but customer service can buy time in some cases. A simple act of sincere customer service goes a long way for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment