Friday, October 2, 2009

Music and Me...and My Daughter

"Only know wherever I go, we're as close as two friends can be. There have been others but never two lovers like music, music and me." Those were two lines from Music and Me, one of the songs of the greatest performer who ever lived, Michael Jackson. I will not really be talking about him but my daughter's love for music.

Love for music runs in the family. My in-laws and my father listen to a lot of Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Engelbert Humperdinck and Elvis Presley. My mother is more upbeat. She loves The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Everly Brothers and the like.

Definitely my love for music and my husband's were influenced by the music playing in our respective homes as children. It was music which made me first notice my husband. He was singing Doctor, Doctor by The Thompson Twins. I like that song. We used to have the same preference - pop, R&B, a little of jazz, new wave and alternative music. But my husband is inclined to classical and jazz music now. I stick to pop.

Then came our daughter. I let her listen to music even inside my tummy - classical yes, up to the time she was an infant. She learned all those toddler songs and nursery rhymes. At one year or two years, she was humming to a song frequently played on our music player - Cruisin' by Gywneth Paltrow and Huey Lewis. I remember she keeps on listening to it my ears almost bled. Haha.

As a tweener, she definitely has her own taste for music. Some I know like Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Paramore and my favorite too, Taylor Swift. A lot of her other favorites I don't know so I take my time to research about them like Boys Like Girls, Hey Monday, Panic at the Disco, Metro Station, Justin Bieber, etcetera.

She was really excited when we watched Metro Station's concert a few months ago and had her CD signed by the band members.


To support her love for music, we let her take up guitar lessons last year. She continuously play the guitar and tries to complete a whole song.




Watching the 3d concert of Miley also meant purchasing the CD.


One of our gifts to her during her birthday this year was a Taylor Swift CD but she's holding here what seems to be Jonas Brothers'.


What music keeps me company these days? Kanye West...no, of course not though I love his song Heartless. But I'd rather listen to the version of The Fray or Kris Allen.

Stay safe everyone. Let's pray that Pepeng weakens and will not wreak havoc anywhere.

***Read more sharing at Mommy Journey.


5 comments:

  1. wow i can tell that your daughter gets all the music lover genes from the family.. Nice talent.. and nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M SURE HE WILL GROW UP TO BE MUSIC MINDED. LIKE MOMMY LIKE BABY...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hhmmm sounds you're a musician

    ReplyDelete
  4. its great that you and your daughter share a common love for music... :) i hope me and my kids will be like that when they grow up..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lynn..napadaan lang galing Beyong Fried eggs..

    ReplyDelete