Sunday, April 5, 2009

Games We Used to Play


This is a common sight for a lot of school children during school parties and get-together - they take out their PSPs and DS Lites and play to their hearts' content. They quietly sit in a corner and busy themselves hitting buttons trying to win their games. Sometimes they play together, or should I say they are all lined up, each to his own, all eyes are set on their little gadgets. The school and the parents have a great take on this. Let me talk about that on some other post.

I rarely allow my daughter to bring her toys - electronic or not - at school whether it's a Xmas party or whatever get-together they are having. I encourage her to interact with her classmates, spend more time with them. There are a lot of activities or games they can enjoy together. They swap books and magazines. I'm agreeable to that. They spend time talking to each other, face to face, about what they read or what's on their magazine.

I attended my daughter's school's family day last month. It was a whole day affair but it was a weekend full of fun! It was a pleasant surprise too to see youngsters play the kind of games I used to play as a child. They were playing jackstones and doing some exhibition with the ball and the star-shaped "stones". I was an expert in jackstones when I was in grade school. So jackstones is in again.


A classmate also brought pick-up-sticks. It's great to see them enjoying this game as a group. It fosters team work and healthy competition.


I still remember the games which kept me and my playmates busy. Personal computers were still unheard of back in late seventies and early 80s when I was growing up. What do we play on weekends when there's no school?

* Taguan (Hide & Seek) - We all hide somewhere and pity the girl or boy who was tasked to find each player. The ground's so big it's hard to find us.

* Sungka - It is said to be the Filipino version of a mancala game, a game of counting and strategy. When I was guiding my daughter in her Social Studies, she was totally at a lost thinking how it can be such an exciting game for us as children many summers ago.

* Piko (Hopscotch) - What I find really fun here is drawing the board or the diagram on the pavement.

* Tumbang preso - A game distinctly Filipino as the linked site says. I agree. I love it whenever I hit the tin can with my slippers! I don't know but is this a backyard version of football with a few major tweaks? Haha.

* Luksong-tinik - I'm below average in this game. The highest jumper wins the game.

* Patintero - The idea is to block an opponent from passing through the player's territory. Speed and timing are keys to win this game. I was pretty good in this game.

Do your children still play these games? The only game from the list above my daughter plays now with her classmates at school is hide and seek.

***More snapshots at WS.

23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we still play sungka until now. whenever I get bored i play sungka all by myself. LOL! happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my son knows how to play sungka and taguan. he is also familiar with jackstones, though rarely plays the game. lol.

    he also love playing with his DS and PSP, though, together with his classmates... technology has gotten their attention. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love jackstones and excelled in it maybe because I can't ride a bike, jump rope and do Chinese garter. :D

    Have a blessed week, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the pick-up-sticks game.
    We play four or five "stones" too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. except for patintero i played all of those games, specially jackstone which was very girly :) the fun we had was priceless. i should start introducing my son to at least one or two of those games :) thanks for sharing these. they surely brought back happy memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the pick up sticks. It's quite challenging. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I still remember playing these games in my younger years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss my childhood. These games totally made it up. This is a very nice entry. Thanks for posting, it brought back good memories :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss those games. My kids are so excited to play piko. I told them I will teach them to play this summer. Thanks for dropping by! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't help but smile on the picture with pick up sticks. it brings back a good childhood memories. We used to play hide and seek in the province. Great WS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post brought back happy memories. I used to play those games too except tumbang preso and luksong tinik. It's sad that I haven't experienced those games when I was young.

    Aside from what you mentioned, I also love chinese jackstones, agawan base and bahay bahayan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I played jack stones too when i was still a kid. lol! And the games you enumerated as in am good at some lalo na patintero. That's a great game for us until highschool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. reminds me of my childhood games... my kid seems so deprived compared to me with his computer related games

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss playing those games too..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a great time for the children. Fun to play games.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very unique post. I sometimes join my daughters in their games, but they outsmart me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nostlagic games - that's what I call them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha! i used to play those when i was a kid, but i was never very good, especially when it came to the exhibition rounds ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. played all those games you listed and more. i still have our sungkaan at home too. Those are the good, old childhood days and i wouldn't exchange them for DS and PSP that kids are so crazy about nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i remember those days when we have simple life... those games are really enjoyable... these days though... hindi na gaanong uso kasi sa dami ng computer games

    ReplyDelete