Friday, April 10, 2009

All About Costumes

This sounds like a quiz straight from Facebook but what kind of mom are you when it comes to your child's costume needs? As we know, schools, and on some occasions or parties, require costumes depending on the program or theme.

Some moms I know rent gowns and period costumes while a handful borrow. A lot buy ready-made ones in department stores. And a few have their child's dresses made by their family seamstress.

I have never borrowed or rented any of my daughter's costumes nor I had any customized except for gowns which she already used when she was the flower girl in several wedding events of family and friends. I buy her costumes along with the accessories (if needed).

More often than not, the adviser will finalize the needed costumes only a week before the program. Sometimes also the school provides the costumes for uniformity which earns several percentage points when there is intercompetition. Of course the parents are billed before the event.

This picture was taken during Linggo ng Wika at my daughter's school. She was able to use this Filipiniana dress for two consecutive years. I bought her a Muslim inspired set for the school's interpretative song but there was a change of plan. Her role was that of a barrio lass so we opted to use this once again - a midnight blue Filipiniana dress with orange accents with flower designs on the sleeves and matching wrap around on the waist. I used hairnet and ribbon to keep her long hair in place.

I keep all her dresses used in school programs and parties. I wanted to share a Halloween costume but my daughter prevented me from doing so. She's ten and she gets embarrassed already looking at her pictures dressed like a cartoon character, an animal or a walking apple. "But...but...you're so cuuuute!" I told her. It does not work for her anymore. I rest my case.

I just have to share this too, my niece's very cute kitten costume last Halloween for the trick or treat rounds. So cute! This toddler loves wearing costumes. On different occasions she was a pumpkin, little girl santa, a princess and the latest, a pink and white kitten.

She loves dressing up obviously regardless how hot it must be. Haha. She'll go easter egg-hunting tomorrow. She's got her baskets ready and her easter wardrobe.

***See more sharing on children's costumes at Mommy Journey.

12 comments:

  1. I love that little costume!
    Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's different when they're grown up. Luckily, my kid didn't get violent when I posted hers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to dress Filipiniana costume back in my Elementary days and if ever my kids are in the Philippines I love to she them both wearing this costume...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM HARRIET, Haha, yes, me too. Fits her to a T!

    SALEN, Agree, they are very vocal about what they want and don't want which is good. :)

    MOMMY JAC, I hope there's a chance that they can wear Filipiniana costumes. That would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique costume and very nationalistic :) I used to wear those too back in elementary :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. your pretty girl just looks so lovely with that filipiniana dress, pinay beauty talaga... and so as your niece =) so cutie... kakagigil lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it's cute Baro't Saya. And your girls are lovely. Thanks for peeking mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh that is so cute! Thanks for the visit as well! have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a filipina ehhehe =) love it! i remember my highschool time i am so active with such
    programs eheheh =) mine is here - http://ishiethan.blogspot.com/2009/04/mommy-moments-14-kids-in-costume.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice costume.. :) and yes, i know the time will pass when my kids wont want to wear any costume at all.. so i am cherishing every moment now :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your daughter is so pretty in her Filipiniana costume.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your daughter is so pretty. inggit wala ako bibihisan na girl...the little niece is cute too in that kitten costume!

    ReplyDelete