Sunday, June 12, 2011

Super 8

We watched Super 8 last night. How was it? Not great but good. Honestly my daughter and my husband were not too keen on watching it. They prefer Kung Fu Panda 2 but well, I've been living under a rock for quite some time I haven't watched Kung Fu Panda 1 yet. So I said we should just watch Super 8. On my mind was Super 8 was directed by Steven Spielberg. *Sheepish grin*

It turned out to be an enjoyable movie. My husband and daughter love it, especially my daughter. We both like Elle Fanning too.

I have to say science fiction movies do not at all excite me. I watch, yes, but I am not the first one to line up the cinema just to have that high feeling of "yes! I've watched THE movie". I am not fond of aliens. I rave about the effects and the novelty of watching a much talked about movie (like Avatar, Star Wars, and the like). But how come I enjoyed watching this one?

This movie is like straight from a cable channel you opt to watch in a lazy Saturday afternoon and surprisingly you get so engaged watching it. It reminds me of several movies featuring children and their the friendship that binds them together through thick and thin. No hidden agenda, just plain, innocent, sweet friendship. It reminds me of Stand By Me, Goonies, E.T., War of the Worlds, and My Science Project. Haha.

There were moments when I wish they could speed up the scenes and let me know who the antagonist is. But those scenes were bearable. This movie, though without any popular star, is nice to watch. I like the look and feel of the setting which is the 70s. I like its official soundtrack, "My Sharona". I feel like dancing to it. :)

We stayed until the credits at the end of the movie was shown as it showcased in full the film the kids have created and shot amid the chaos caused by the military and the extraterrestrial being in the little town of Ohio. This short film is also fun to watch.

Super 8 is a good summer ender for my daughter who is about to start her intermediate school next week. If you want to relax, give a little scream, and just have fun while eating your popcorn, go, see this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment