Sunday, June 5, 2011

Shine, The Recital

May 28, 2010 was a very rainy Saturday but even so it was also a very special date for us. It was my daughter's recital at Center for Pop Music which was held at the center's Hall of Fame branch. It has been weeks of sessions and practices at night. There was a point that my daughter looked so exhausted but there was no complaining or whining from her end. It was because she really loves what she's doing - singing and performing.

She was able to utter though, "I already know how Justin Bieber feels rehearsals after rehearsals after rehearsals." I had to give out a big smile with that. She was really so passionate about her performance. She has also formed friendships within the center. I know she would as my daughter likes meeting new people especially with the same interests as hers. The consecutive nights of rehearsals made it more fun for her with her new found friends.

The picture below was taken two nights before the big day. They were practicing a song from "Glee".



Days before that, my daughter and I scouted for her outfits. It was really tiring but I love doing this. I can make a career out of it actually as long as it's for my daughter. I made an appointment again with our salon for my daughter's hair and make-up for her recital.

Soft curls fits her and a make-up suited for her age, just about the right amount to enhance her glow on stage. Well yes, I amused myself while waiting for her to get done. :)


Finally we arrived at the venue. Backstage, I was a stage mother. I expected a more organized clothes and shoe racks but I think there were only two racks. Most moms cannot just leave their children's outfits on the chairs. Either they get misplaced or they get soiled. These are kids, they still play around.

I decided to bring with me all her outfits at the audience area. I go to the backstage whenever she needs to change clothes for her number. I hope Center for Pop take a look at the organization backstage. I don't expect it to be spic and span but I hope there are provisions for the clothes and shoes with proper tags.

These were taken before the opening number. We were advised that it should be a hip hop costume.


The participants danced to the beat of Higher by Taio Cruz and Kylie Minogue. The parents, of course, were so excited to watch the kids. Well yes, the program was suppose to start at 11 AM but it started around 1 PM thereabouts. It was because there was only one make-up artist and one hairstylist for the more than twenty kids that will go on stage.



Second number was a song from Glee, "Don't Stop Believin'." From hip hop, my daughter changed to a red, white and black school-girl inspired outfit.



Go boys and girls, show them what you've got! :) I love your performance. There was just a technical glitch because my daughter's microphone suddenly went pfft. But it's alright, she was still singing her heart out. The show must go on. :)



And the time has come for her solo performance. My daughter was calm, cool and collected as we prepare for her next number. She said yes, she was nervous, but on stage, while singing, she just do her best and her anxiety melts away. Nice one, little lady.


I suggested a few songs for her but she really wants to sing "How You Love Me Now" by Hey, Monday. I actually don't know this song that I have to look it up at YouTube. It's her song, it's her choice. I don't impose because I believe she can sing her own song better. She can feel the lyrics, the melody better if she choose for herself.

We both thought about what she will wear. I like it that it's not so formal. I remember Hailey Steinfeld at the Oscars wearing Converse with her pink gown. That was cute, cool, laidback but not boring. Fits also my daughter's age and song.


She changed clothes again for the closing number. We opted for a denim shorts and her plaid polo and the boots she wore during their practicum. She looks so fresh and ready to perform. Backstage, the kids were having fun.


This is the second to the last number where they sang "Make Me Feel Like a Star." I really love this song. It's so full of hope and enthusiasm.



My daughter received her Award of Achievement for Completion, Starlite, Stage and Voice Performance. We're so proud of her as she gave her best in this particular summer activity. It was really very productive.


The kids will surely miss each other but in this age and time, they have all the means to still connect and continue the friendship and camaraderie that developed among them. It's great to be young. Use your talents wisely, kids!




Shine, reach for your dreams. :)


It was a great experience for my daughter. I know she learned a lot and she can really use what she learned for her performances at school. Oh yes, definitely, I will continuously support her with what she loves doing especially it really hones her talents and her confidence not just in performing but in interacting with different kinds of people and in handling different situations. Shine, my little lady! :)

2 comments:

  1. with such a beautiful and talented girl, you are one lucky mom!

    ReplyDelete