Thursday, November 26, 2009

Children and Household Chores

I want to believe the picture below is precious. Come to think of it, I haven't seen her do something as "noble" as this for so many months now. She used to be the one to ask me if she can do it, sometimes to the point of begging.

I was adamant because they might slip from her hands, she might get hurt and all the broken pieces scattered everywhere. But why not? We have to start somewhere when it comes to household chore assignments. We have to level up so to speak after she learned picking up and keeping her toys when she was younger.

So I let her wash the dishes, limited to only two or three lest I be accused of child labor. Haha. It was just to let her experience it. She seemed to enjoy it. But that was a few months ago. Lately, the only household chores (if you can call them that) she ever does are these two - fixing her bed and changing pillow case. Oh yes, she fixes her school bag too.


Household chores are often times a novelty for children. They have fun doing them the first few times but get tired of them after. Like most children my daughter loves playing with water so her most logical choice then would be to wash the dishes.

There may be helps around in a household but I'm one in saying that children should know basic housekeeping when they are capable already and as they grow older. Involving children in doing household chores make them more self-confident, independent and responsible.

Let me share my thoughts about children and housekeeping based on my experience, some of which I realized only lately.

1. Take advantage of that stage when the children are very curious and enthusiastic in participating in household chores. It's the best time to share and teach them the proper way of doing things. It's still like playing for them.

2. Some chores need not be gender-based. This will probably challenge the kids, especially the girls, but that's where the motivation comes from more often than not. They are excited to try new things. They will surely be proud of accomplishing something not quite expected from them in a general sense. But of course, the task should be age appropriate.

3. Sustain their interest by making a schedule of when to do what activity until this becomes a habit. This is where I fell short I believe. I was not able to sustain her first acts of being excited about some chores. But I won't fret, we'll start all over again.

4. Preparing meals or baking together are activities that foster more family bonding. I should say these two things are what my daughter and I do gladly from the bottom of our hearts.

***Read more sharing at Mommy Journey.

8 comments:

  1. It's always like that, they always beg us to let them do it, when they grow up,it's the other way around, you have to beg them, so they'll do it. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right especially to take advantage when they're young. I also had that dilemma when Z wanted to wash the dishes, my solution - I just let him wash the plastic ones. ^^

    Happy Thoughts
    Handy Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting post, which all the moms would agree on :) Starting them young is a factor. My son just likes preparing and cooking, so we try to accommodate him as long as he's interested. He changes his mind so fast kasi.

    Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Mommmy Moment entry. have a great weekend!

    my entry is up too..hope you can drop by!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with Mommy Willa! When my daughter was younger... she begs me to do it. Now its the other way around, LOL!

    Nice post.

    My entry is here

    Also, I'd like to invite you to join my weekly meme called Pixelbug Weekend. It's a meme showing the highlight of your weekend through photos. Hope to see you this Monday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a great dish washer. Happy MM! Am playing....

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing tips with us.. its a great help to all mommies!

    ReplyDelete