Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Delaying Gratification

It's my daughter's first trimester examination this week. The long weekend was spent mostly for reviewing her subjects. Reviewing sometimes prove to be a challenge. Why? Because a day of exam consists of four to five subjects. I need to guide her to manage her time so she can study all the subjects especially the major ones - Math, Science and HEKASI (Geography, History, Civics).

These subjects require a lot of reading and yes, memorization. Add to that the minor subject, but information laden, Computer. The terms, the functions the students have to remember are just so many. I hope they will just have an actual exam for Computer and not theoretical.

There has to be a gap between examination days. It should not be held in consecutive days to give the students more time to study and go over all the lessons. Or at least give the students an outline of the scope of the test. In the meantime that these proposals are on its way to the school directress' email, my daughter hast to study per their schedule.

At least two teachers review them before the long tests. That is highly appreciated. The students need all the help they can get considering the load of subjects and lessons in a given trimester. I notice that quizzes are not as frequent as they were during the last school year. Quizzes help students be refreshed with current and previous lessons.

I reminded my daughter a few days ago that she needs to start reviewing early so she will not cram on the next days. We made a pact that she will study at least three days before the test, at least for the subjects which require long reading. The drawback here is she might forget some lessons. Well, reviewing is recalling what they have learned. I am confident there is a deep understanding of the lessons so forgetting them is unlikely.

You see my daughter can only use the computer for internet browsing and games during weekends (on a limited time) with the exception of weekends before the exam week. There were a lot of shows on Disney and Nickelodeon that she wanted to watch (though they have watched most in YouTube) during the weekend that passed but she has to study for the most parts of the day.

Daughter: Why do we need to take examssss???
Me: Just one of the ways to check how much you learned from your lessons.
Daughter: Why can't quizzes be enough? It's the same thing.
Me: Some things needs to get done, guidelines to follow which include your tests in schools. After this, you can rest to your heart's content.


I didn't feel my answer was good enough but in these times of what seems like "dread and agony", I perk up her mood. I show patience and understanding to what she is feeling. I try my best to motivate her and inculcate the value of delaying gratification. Gladly she understands. She just have to let it out. I let her. After her short monologue, she picks up her books and starts studying and I can see no resentment on what she is doing.

If I could think of better ways in reviewing lessons other than scheduling it ahead and taking fifteen to 30 minute breaks, then I'd gladly share it with her.

It's better to finish the hard work and reap the fruits of your labor after. Have fun after the toil. It should never be fun first before hard work. Oh yes, maybe a few times the reverse happens but I would definitely want her to have a clear understanding that a long-term or more substantial reward is more fulfilling than short-term rewards. A little sacrifice now, gain and win later.

I pray to God she carries this value with all her heart as she grows older. Work hard first and enjoy the rewards later, maybe even sooner, God willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment