Friday, February 27, 2009

Bonding Moments


There is a bonding time for me and my daughter everyday even for a few hours or minutes. There are planned bonding moments but a lot of times they are spontaneous. They are just the normal activities we do after dinner on weekdays or anytime of the day on weekends.

Sitting on the couch after dinner and talking about how each of our day was is a great bonding moment. I get to know what happened in school. I browse on her notes and tutor her if needed. She gets to know what I am doing too. I share a few stories about my fun moments with my colleagues. I would like her to be familiar with the people I spend the day with. She knows some of them.

We spend an hour or so watching our favorite shows on Disney, Nickelodeon, NatGeo, ABSCBN, even MTV. We channel surf. A habit his Daddy detests. Haha. Lately we enjoy watching cooking shows together - Giada's and Iron Chef.

On weekends, there are times we bake or make shakes.

We go to the salon together most of the time. There is an unwritten rule - she gets to choose my nail color.

We go shopping! This early we get to give each other suggestions on what is a better find. This is also one of the ways I share with her what value for money is. Good buys are not exactly branded or expensive.

We both read a lot. Fully Booked, Power Books or National Bookstore are always in our agenda when we go to the malls. It is a sacrilege not to pass by in any of the three.

We love dining out, trying out different pastas. It's our habit to get food from each others' plates if we order different foods.

We watch movies together. This time we plan to watch The Jonas Brothers' 3D Concert and You Changed My Life. We find Sarah a nice girl. :)

It runs in the family. Digital cameras were non existent yet many years ago but we always have a ready film we can use anytime that we feel like taking pictures. I carried it with me as I was growing up. And I seemed to have passed it on with my daughter. We both love taking pictures. We do that, anywhere, even at home, anytime of the day that we fancy taking each others' pictures. It's so much fun!

One bonding moment I want us to do this summer is physical fitness. I want to further explore her interest in kid's yoga. She read it in one of her tween magazines a few months ago. She got more enthusiastic about it when I started attending yoga classes. I demonstrate to her some poses I did and we watch basic yoga poses in youtube. I am scouting for a yoga class for kids and moms near our place in time for her summer vacation.

It is important that we have our own quiet time, both mother and child, but bonding time is greatly anticipated. After a full day, bonding with my daughter is a comforting thought. I always say this, it greatly balances my day.

***More sharing of bonding moments of mommies with their children at Mommy Journey.

12 comments:

  1. oh this is sweet....yeah bathing them is really hard, i am actually scared to do ti alone...i really need my mom's help or sometimes my hubby's help heheh =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love bonding with my teenager. It's important to have them feel that we are there for them especially at this stage.

    Welcome to Mommy Moments, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it really is a RIOT LOL
    you have a very strong relationship with your daughter. I sometimes feel envy to people who have daughters.. parang ang sarap na may apprentice ka..

    Thanks Mommy Lynn for dropping by on my bonding time

    Have a great and happy bonding weekend!

    Make or Break

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! Our girls love yoga. Sometimes they'll try to do it on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is why I want to have a baby while i'm still young so when they grow up I can still enjoy things they do and we can bond like shopping or sorts. Thanks for sharing yours. You look like real close with your daughter.


    Earthlingorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome to mommy moments! thanks so much for sharing your stories with us...

    i look forward to the day when my kids are a bit bigger too so we can do other stuff like u mentioned :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! So many bonding moments with your daughter! I would definitely love to instilll in my son a special liking for books. When he gets a little older, mommy and Justin will definitely troop to the book stores, too. Thanks for commenting on my post. I hope we can exchange links, too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. JES, when my daughter was as young as your child, I did not bathe her all by myself. We really need to be careful as they are very sensitive and syempre, first time mommies tayo.

    SALEN, Thanks! I see to it that my daughter knows we're friends so she can easily share stories w/ me.

    PEHPOT, Lol, I like your term, "apprentice". We wanted to have a boy too but well, one wonderful baby girl lang talaga ang binigay sa amin. :)

    SHARI, I am wondering why my daughter got really interested in yoga but am not complaining. It's a good thing.

    EARTHLINGORGEOUS, I can say my daughter and I are really close. I gave birth when I was in my late 20s. So far, I can still relate with my daughter's interests. And I want to keep it that way.

    CHRIS, In no time you will see, they're big enough for all other bonding activities. I enjoy doing Mommy Moments. :)

    TETCHA, I'm sure Justin would devour a lot of books when that time comes. All my links are in my bloglines. I will be creating a link page soon in my blog and I'll include yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,thanks for the visit. Your post makes me want to have a daughter na rin...hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! Very nice idea you got there! Physical fitness...

    Your daughter is very pretty, like her Mom. :)

    Twinkie Calls

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynn! I agree with the other mommies, you have a pretty daughter and it shows that you are so close. I'll be having my baby girl in the next two weeks so super excited na ko! I'm happy na with a boy and girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I admire your close relationship with your daughter. It's rewarding to spend bonding moments with our children each and every day.

    ReplyDelete