Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Suede

It's the 80s once again, at least in Manila. Or haven't you noticed? With some dash of the 90s if I may add.

The concerts held recently were like a blast from the past. We had Swing Out Sisters, Duran Duran and even Toto. We also had Incubus and Maroon 5 though they are from the early part of 2000.

In the Philippines we saw a come backing matinee idol from the 80s, Gabby Concepcion. Boy, he's still as handsome as ever. No Dingdong Dantes nor Piolo Pascual can overshadow a dashing middle aged man in the person of Gabby. (Kill me now for posting something like this.) :D

Last night and tonight I find myself browsing on video clips of the 80s and 90s music. I searched for The Lotus Eaters' The First Picture of You. Eeewww, the barber's cut. Doesn't look good on a man after all. I feasted on The Style Council's Ever Changing Moods, Boy Who Cried Wolf and You're the Best Thing. Paul Weller's reed thin. Like a several pounds lighter Adrian Brody. It's his music and his voice which made me like him to bits.

I searched for Echo and the Bunnymen's People are Strange. Bolshoi's Away...Gene Loves Jezebel's Desire...etcetera.

They're all coming back to me now.

I particularly missed R.E.M. I watched Losing My Religion over at YouTube. Those weird steps made me grin.

This is a mommy blog I know but can't help but post here Suede's Beautiful Ones. Embedding was disabled so you may click the link if you care to watch the band. They don't make music like this anymore. I have not watched music videos like this in recent years. Simple but gets one's attention. Or maybe I haven't been watching much.

I do not promote anything toxic but the music video was crude yet powerful. Watching Brett Anderson (lead singer of Suede) reminds of me a local music icon, Rico Blanco. Maybe it's just me but they sort of move the same. I've watched Blanco live and I could say Bamboo is a whole lot better. I digress.

This mommy has to sleep now...after a dose of The Smiths.

7 comments:

  1. when i saw your title "suede" the first thing that came to mind was the black suede in cebu :D

    anyway, ako rin, i was doing some reminiscing on youtube, pero hindi music, but the tv shows. yung cartoons dati( mighty man and yukk and the classic sesame street).

    ReplyDelete
  2. im a new wave fans.. nung malaman ko nga na dadating ang mga yan sa atin nanghinayang ako.. sayang talaga di ko sila mappanood.. makokontento na lang ako sa pakikinig sa mga collections ko hayy... happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. CESS, Parang gusto ko ring manood ng Sesame Street. I like Ernie and Big Bird more than Elmo.
    :)

    ROSE, New wave fan din ako. I love Modern English, Siouxie and the Banshees and the like. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a very effective advertisement

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one.

    come see my sign hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great sign!! Very clever.


    Mines up over at Flo's Place

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love that song... I've been thinking to make another CD of 80s (the ones in my car are getting too old for my ears). Madownload ulit si Limewire, hehe.

    Miss you na Lynn! :)

    ReplyDelete