Monday, January 25, 2010

My First Ever Baked Macaroni

January ends a few days from now. Like what I have shared some weeks ago, I set out a number of great expectations for the year and broke them down to months and weeks.

How am I faring so far in January? I would say just fine, pretty well. Some buttons still need to be pushed but things are getting done. Making things happen - my motto for the year.

Professionally I was able to accomplish what I have set to do. I need to push more...should I say pray more...but I am confident to say I am doing my best.

The structure on the business front has been set and will commence anytime now. The target date is within this week.

On the family side, one major step, among several major steps, about one of our major goals for the year has been done. Thanks to my Pop who had been a source of motivation with his constant follow-ups. Subtle follow-ups, haha.

A great effort on my part is dieting. But I'm glad to note I have lost a few pounds when I weighed in during the third week of January. If I will stick with my diet, the trend will continue therefore it is safe to say I will achieve my target weight for the month. Ergo, I should stick to my diet.

And yes, I was able to bake my first ever baked macaroni. It was a spur of the moment since I have most of the ingredients. I thought of sending a message to my niece through Facebook about her baked macaroni recipe. She answered after a few minutes so I gathered the ingredients and started working on it.

What's good about my baked macaroni:
* For a first timer, I was able to produce a decent bechamel sauce.
* The baked macaroni has just about the right texture.

What can improve is the mozzarella flakes I sprinkled on top before I set it in the oven. It just doesn't smell good nor did it give a good taste. It looks good though but my daughter remove the cheese toppings before eating them. The bechamel sauce was great though.


Here's the recipe my niece shared with me.

Macaroni noodles:
1/2 kg, cooked as directed

Macaroni sauce:
Saute chopped onions and crushed garlic cloves in butter.
Add 1/2 kg ground beef and 1 pack of spiced ham.
Pour in 2 medium packs of tomato sauce and 1 small pack of tomato paste; add 1 medium pack of tomato sauce's worth of water.
Add sugar, salt, and pepper to taste.

Bechamel sauce (in low heat):
1/4 cup softened butter
2 big cans Carnation Evap
2 Neste Cream in tetrapacks
1 small can of mushrooms, finely chopped
1 Campbell's cream of musroom (condensed soup)
1/2 bar of ordinary or quickmelt cheese

It is advisable to make the bechamel sauce first and let it cool. Mix the cooked noodles with the red sauce and top it with bechamel sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese or mozzarella or your ordinary cheese. Ready to bake. Brownish toppings and some bubbles will indicate your baked macaroni is ready to serve.

I baked two pans. I thought they're too much but what do you know, they were consumed after one and a half days up to the last noodle.

No comments:

Post a Comment