Friday, June 26, 2009

The King of Pop

Before I became a fan of alternative music and the radio station that played them - WXB, I was glued to 99.5 RT, Rhytm of the City, for my daily pop music fix. The station ID keeps playing on my head for a few minutes now.

I never missed RT's broadcast of Kasey Casem's American Top 40 every Sunday. I even list down the songs in my notebook. That was the mid-80s. Radio, television and yes, song hits and music magazines were my allies in my music exploration. There was no internet yet as we have it today.

I started on pop songs before new wave captured my attention. New waver it was called but it sounds really tacky now. You guessed it right, Michael Jackson was on top of my list. I was ecstatic having my own Thriller cassette tape. It was a prized possession.

Songs from the Thriller album were our favorite back in high school. My friends and I danced to PYT (Pretty Young Thing) during our home room presentation. The boys danced to Thriller complete with tattered white shirt with red undershirt to have a gooey blood effect coming out of their bodies. Haha.

It was the time of baston, today's skinny jeans, bitin pants (cropped pants) and leather jackets. Aga Muhlach, the local teen idol of the 80s, and half of the high school boys copied MJ's style - leather jackets with heavily padded shoulders, a hat, sequined gloves, and all that iconic fashion statements.

My taste in music shifted to alternative after high school. I will never be caught dead listening to any of MJ's songs. It felt like I needed to put my music to a different level. That was juvenile thinking.

As I was maturing I got to appreciate Michael Jackson's music again. I was not affected when he was branded as Wacko Jacko. I admired him for his talent. Elaborate outfits and cosmetic surgery aside. I was not a big fan anymore but I was again fascinated by his songs. One of my favorite songs remain to be You Are Not Alone. I love the lyrics, I love the video (even how he looks in the video) and I love his soulful rendition of the song.

Again, I am not a big fan, but his death is sinking in. It's sinking in like I have lost a good friend. I feel sad about it. A blow in growing old in age is seeing The Icon who occupied the greatest part of my generation, Generation X, leave - gone forever. I am very much affected. Michael Jackson was the common ground in one of the happiest and most unforgettable years of my life. Michael Jackson was a great part of my youth.

I am reminiscing now watching some of his music videos over at YouTube. God only knows why things happen the way they do.

May you rest in peace, Michael Jackson, King of Pop. I bow to you. Thank you for the music. I pray for a good life for all your children too. May they be guided properly and may they live well.

No comments:

Post a Comment