Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Daughter's "First Job"

Even before school was out my daughter and I were thinking what could be a good summer activity for her this year. Maybe she can file receipts and arrange files and folders for his daddy, an hour at least three times a week. But she was not excited about it. Of course, in this day and age, who would? Read: b.o.r.i.n.g. I didn't push it.

McDonald's Kiddie Crew was out of the question as she had spent two summers already joining the young team. She's going eleven and quite tall for her age so we both think she won't fit already. I'm not sure too if they still offered it at the branch near our place. I have not seen any announcement.

She had guitar lessons last summer. Swimming lessons are enhancements of what she already know. She wanted something new for the rest of May.

It's a good thing the last time we visited her favorite clothes shop, Orange Juice, we filled up a membership form. They regularly send emails for updates - sale, new items, activities. I received an email announcing their opening for this year's Juice Crew.

I checked OJ's site and read about the activity. My daughter and I both liked what we saw - bonding with fellow kids, learning a few things about kiddie fashion, and more importantly, I find it a good venue to express the creative talents of the children and build their confidence.

We joined. I let her email them and answer a few questions about herself. Short and sweet. We were happy when someone from OJ called a few weeks after to inform her she is one of the OJ club members to join in this year's summer activity. According to the website, around 200 applications were sent and 24 of them were chosen.

Day 1 was orientation and getting to know the other kids. She had fun because they played fashion consultants, created slogans and tags and had snack together. They dressed up their model too and explained why they chose the style.

My daughter has an innate talent when it comes to expressing herself visually. I would like to further hone that. She is more artistically inclined than I am. She probably got this from my mother.

I lifted the picture below from the OJ site. More pictures of the kids at Club OJ. Here their group huddled to create their earth-friendly slogan.


Days 2, 3 and 4 were spent in their assigned OJ store. We chose Shangrila because it is the nearest from our place among the choices (Rockwell and Alabang Town Center were the other two). I stayed for a few minutes on her first day. I just want to observe how she's doing and of course, take pictures! Some are a bit blurry because I hurriedly point and shoot.

She met new friends and they bonded for three days. They communicate until now through emails, chats and their social networking accounts. I'm talking about ten year old girls here. What was I doing when I was ten?



Materials were given to them at the store to create their bulletin board. What do you know? The little ladies decided to have their picture taken in a nearby photo shop and tuck them in in their boards. See their various poses. I love the jump shot the most. Kids love the camera, don't they?


They were allowed/encouraged to choose the clothes they want displayed. She is helping the very amiable sales associate dress up the mannequin with her preferred top and bottom. Check out her finished product, it's the picture I posted in my Visual Merchandising entry.


My daughter taking it easy listening to music.


There is plenty of time to bond with the other OJ kids.


And her first ever salary - lifetime discount card at OJ (we love this!), a necklace, and gift certificates. Great! Substantial enough for a ten year old. :)


I found out from Club OJ's site that this activity was published in Manila Bulletin's Fun Page and its website. Juice Crew Chronicles was written by a thirteen year old young miss, this year's spokesperson for OJ.

We subscribe to a different newspaper so I was not able to secure a copy (or copies for that matter). I am now asking my newspaper supplier if they still have the May 30 issue.

My daughter's the one in the middle. Scanned pictures below were lifted from Club OJ site. Click the pages below if you want to read.


I like this kind of exposure for my daughter. I want her to get used to talking to people, young and old, to always have a ready smile and learn how to act on situations. I had a fun time watching the kids talk to customers and act as junior brand managers. My daughter's social skills is good. A little shy at the start but she gets comfortable easily. Not overbearing but she can speak her mind when needed.

To sum it up, in my daughter's own words, "I had a great time mixing and matching clothes. I really, really like my new friends!" Well, learning and having fun go together perfectly.

***More snapshots at WS.

13 comments:

  1. that is really neat. i was playing chinese garter at ten! good that young people these days learn responsibility and the value of working hard to earn money.

    my WS entry is here http://kcelebration.blogspot.com/search/label/weekend%20snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  2. great way to be practice creativity and tap into business skills. mine is up too. have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is really good experience for your daughter and she's sure is lucky to be able to have that. nice post. my WS is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KERO, I think I my mind was focused in playing too when I was ten.

    HAZEL, That's right! :)

    MARITES, Thanks. It was really a fruitful experience for her.

    DORA, She loves it! All the kids too because they're just like playing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you raise yr daughter. I do the same for my ten year old boy. Give him as rich an experience as possible growing up and hopefully develop some talents he might have ( which I havent quite discovered yet ) except that he is interested in competitive martial arts, blogging and language. His piano skills : non existent though i have no heart to tell him although every week he insists on going for his piano lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a good summer activity for kids. great exposure...makes them develop good work attitude when they grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids with proper guidance and exposure would eventually be successful in their chosen field. Good exposure for her. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BENGBENG, Thanks for the compliment. I love that attitude of your son. He's persistent. Practice makes perfect. Maybe one day he'll surprise you w/ his piece. :) And who knows, he'll be a writer and a martial arts expert in the future. Kids, they'll find their place in the sun sooner than we think.

    LUNA MIRANDA, I am hopeful all these exposure activities are ingrained well. :)

    EBIE, Thanks! I'm always on the look out for activities for my daughter that involves creativity and a lot of interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! thanks for sharing this.. i am glad to hear that tehre are these kind of programs out there.. :) ill keep this in mind as my daughter grows older :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. this looks like it had been a fun and a learning experience for her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun experience for her! And I think she could learn a lot about being responsible and how to deal with work...plus it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's a great summer activity, just perfect for your tween. nasa dyaryo pa. i'm happy for you !

    ReplyDelete