Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Keep It This Way


My daughter watches quite a number of shows from Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. I want to know what she's watching so more often than not I join her while she's glued to the tube. It's like meeting who her friends are, what she's up to or what she's engaged with at the moment. I want to know why these shows interests her. And oftentimes, subtly, I give my two cents about the characters. One good thing is it's clear with my daughter that these are just shows. When I react to a scene, she will tell me, "Mommy, it's what on their script, it's just a show". I see that's a good sign separating these glossy characters from reality.

More than Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy, I am more familiar with Hannah, Miranda Cosgrove of iCarly, Selena Gomez of Wizards of Waverly, Mr. Bean, Fairly Odd Parents, Spongebob, etcetera. I also got to know Zach and Codie and got so fond of London, the bratty but funny daughter of Tiptone Hotel owner from The Suite Life of Zach and Codie. I know Zach Efron's birthday. I find myself arguing with my daughter that Ashley Tisdale is a lot better than Vanessa Hudgens. I like Ashley!

And when we watch, we identify each others' quirks from one of the characters. I ask her sometimes if I am as cool as the mommy characters she's watching. She said sometimes I am when I am not being grumpy and only if I will lose some weight. Ouch.

I also find myself researching why this tween band is called The Naked Brother's Band. It's one of my daughter's favorites. I feel uncomfortable with the name. But I came to know the story behind it. But I still wish they have a different name but let me not make that a big deal.

One time my daughter and I were in a record store and I asked the sales lady if they have a CD of The Naked Brothers Band. Obviously, she doesn't know that these are composed of kids ages 10 to 15. She was looking at me like I was desperately asking for a strip teasing sort of male group.

These days my ears (and hubby's too) are bleeding with the music of Jonas Brothers. These kids are like the Menudo of the 80s. My daughter and I laugh at their outfits. Skinny jeans, colorful ties, uncombed hair...so 80s I tell my daughter. But she loves them. Hubby abhors them. I'm neutral.

Because of my daughter too, I called up Sky Cable to ask when Camp Rock will be aired here in the Philippines. I get excited when she's excited. Unfortunately they don't have a play date here yet. My daughter is eagerly waiting for it. It stars The Jonas Brothers and her current favorite, Demi Lovato. Camp Rock is said to be as big as High School Musical. I don't think so. :D

I just feel good that my daughter is open about the things that interests her. I know that when she gets older and in her teens, there will be other interests that might get her attention. It's good to start early, bonding, girl talks. I intend to stay this way with her. Be cool about the things she loves, so to speak. Appreciate her taste. Understand her point of view, where she's coming from. Bottom line is being open to each other is a key success factor for our mother-daughter relationship. We'll keep it this way. :)

6 comments:

  1. Ako din, sometimes I'm so out of touch (don't get to watch the news) because we watch Nickelodeon and disney channel most of the time...

    Ang ganda naman ng relationship nyo. Patch is also open to me, but she's getting into that stage na shy and quiet na. Dalaga na, huhu! I just hope she will still confide in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ay, I can't relate since we don't have cable tv and Trixie is into Naruto naman :)

    Good thing your daughter is open. Si Trixie, just like Patch is a little secretive na.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yohan also enjoys watching Disney Channel and Disney Playhouse. I watch with him sometimes.

    I think it's great when parents take time to watch the kind of shows their children enjoy. It's nice bonding time and it's also a way for parents to monitor the shows.

    The first time I saw Jonas Brothers was when they performed in American Idol. At that time I had no clue who they were then I discovered that they appear on Disney Channel. I was amazed that Yohan knows them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes..the Jonas Brothers. I have learned to zone out in the car whenever the Hezzies ask to have their cd played. Memorize ko na rin ang When You Look Me In the Eyes and S.O.S.!

    Its nice that Andrea is very open with you. My kids are still in the stage where they can't keep secrets at all. But at the rate they're going (crushes and all) mukhang I'll be facing some tough times ahead :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures - it looks a fascinating place

    Do not think I'd like to meet such a large lizard on the beach !

    ReplyDelete
  6. you. are. a cool. mom. taas ang kamay ko sa yo. i would like to be like you when my kids are as old as andrea.
    as of now, hindi ko masyado gusto ang jonas brothers. my son likes them - i don't like their videos, yung mga nagpapa-cute na sa girls. feeling ko lang ang bata pa ng anak ko for such influences. o baka overprotective lang ako, hehehe.

    ReplyDelete