Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Learning


I must admit I love buying things for my family, for my daughter most especially. But I also want to believe I am a smart consumer. Nothing in excess (a few times I falter but I/hubby have to cover it up immediately such that my target savings will still be reached).

As a child I have always been excited with saving money. This feeling was reinforced when my father gave me a savings account when I was in grade school. It was the feeling of being empowered seeing my name in my own passbook. It also means that I was given the trust to handle my allowance. Modesty aside, I know how to save even prior to having my own account. But it's not even about having money per se. It's the thrill to have a filled-to-the-brim coin bank. It's an accomplishment for me. Thanks to my parents for sustaining this discipline and learning from them the value of it.

Now I am passing this learning to my daughter Andrea. I created a little game when she was in preschool. I bought her coin banks and we play shoot that coin. We did that everyday and continue to do it now. I see her putting the coins she sees in the house or from my coin purse to her coin bank. We agreed to save a certain amount everyday and deposit it to her coinbank and after a month, deposit it to her savings account. She does not have a daily allowance as she brings the snack I prepare for her and her drink to school. So mommy and daddy provide. The concept of savings is there, we have to start somewhere. When she gets her allowance, hopefully, she has already acquired the value of savings.


One day though she said her allowance day should be every Wednesday. Some of her friends bring money and they buy food or little things at their mini mart. It's okay with me. I don't want to be too stiff with money. Let me play it cool with her. And just provide an example of how to properly manage money. Nothing in excess dear.


And of course, summer is here. Her swimming lessons continues. She loves swimming to the max. I am already inquiring for a Lozada swimming center where there is a roof to protect the kids from the glaring sun while on the pool.



***This post is my entry for Pinoy Moms Network theme for this month, Learning.

6 comments:

  1. nice pics. especially the pool. i love swimming for fun.

    by the way, care to visit mine too?

    FAMPICS

    thanks in advance.

    Pinay Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, andaming coins. The children collect coins too, those from the sarisari store change and those lying around collecting dust.

    Are thosettp://te Lozada lessons with the roof in SJC?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mommy Lynn! :)

    thanks for sharing the shoot the coin game you had with Andrea. it's really a fun way of teaching kids value for money, isn't it?

    back in December last year, Hubby (whose all inspired with the Rich Dad, Poor Dad concept) gifted Nico with a kiddy savings account. Nico didn't really appreciate it though. heehee, he just thought it was a teeny weeny piece of paper.

    I guess, there's a right timing for the kiddy savings account right? and with Andrea's age now, she's all ready for the kiddy savings account!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, Lynn. It's a great reminder to all to teach these things early. You are really teaching your kids values here, and not just any lesson.

    Re: swimming, very good!!! I love it when parents encourage their kids to swim. (Am a swimmer myself.) If you e-mail Lozada, they can tell you which places have indoor or covered pools. Like the one in QC Del Monte area is covered, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn, I've got an award for you on my blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynn. I think it's great that you're teaching Andrea about the importance of saving money and investing it in a bank.

    I remember when we were younger, my brother and I were thrilled to have our own passbook ~ Bangko Filipino. It encouraged us to save our money.

    ReplyDelete