Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Yabu, The House of Katsu

I met with my two college best friends yesterday afternoon after my business in one of the offices in Ortigas. I was really looking forward to this day because I haven't been with my friends for several months now. We have been so busy for the past months...well, throughout the year, that we cannot find a date when the three of us are available. The last time I met with one of them was around April this year.

This meet-up has in fact been postponed I think twice already. We've talked about this since mid-November and finally it pushed through, thanks to the holiday break. :) We were supposed to go to Serendra but I suggested we try Yabu, The House of Katsu. I have been reading a lot of good reviews about this restaurant - from the warm ambiance to the good service and the great food. Also, I have not been to SM Megamall's Atrium for a looooong time.

I must say I like the interior of the restaurant. I like the soft, warm light which gives some touch of intimacy among groups of diners but it does not make you feel stiff and too business-like. It's cozy-laid back as a matter of fact. I like the murals on the left side of the dining area - kind of cartoonish focusing on Japanese characters and katsu. Next time I will take pictures of the mural as well as the facade.

The service is prompt too. Someone hurriedly went up to me smiling just as I was about to enter the restaurant. This gave me the feeling of being so welcome as a special guest. We didn't have to wait long for our food. Maybe it's only about 5 minutes. The food servers are also very polite and fast.


I have been eating katsu dishes for years but I don't exactly know what it means. I know the food is breaded and fried which are also two descriptions I find in Google. It also said katsu is a shortcut of katsuretsu which means cutlet.

Katsu sets all come with miso soup, shredded cabbage, about three slices of fruits (watermelon and pineapple). Katsu sauce will also be served where you can dip your pork or chicken cutlets - toasted sesame seeds to mix with katsu sauce. I must say the chicken katsu can stand by itself even without the katsu sauce.


My friend ordered chicken katsu. I tried it and boy, it's soooo tender. Next time this is what I will order. I love the Japanese rice too - sticky, soft and chewy.


Chicken Katsu, 190 g, about P250 (I missed the exact price)

The other friend ordered Rosu Katsu Curry Set. I am not into curry so I passed on this.


Rosu Katsu Curry Set, P295

I ordered Rosu Katsudon which is very tasty. I love eggs so I love that this is covered with lightly scrambled eggs.


Rosu Katsudon, P265

All the servings are quite huge for one person. Is it value for money? I must say it is. So far, it's the most tender meat cutlets I have ever tasted. Pork and chicken are covered with panko (Japanese bread crumbs) which make the meat really crispy but very tender and juicy once you have taken a bite of them.

I will definitely go back here with my family even if it's far from our house. It's that good.

Great place, great food, great friends - I am very grateful about all these. :)


To my friends, thank you for the gift of friendship. :) I love you, girls!


***More food sharing at Picture Clusters and Food Trip Friday.

7 comments:

  1. the foods look delish, want to go there next time :) thanks for sharing!

    visiting from Food FRiday!

    http://vhen.blogspot.com/2011/12/lunch-at-tokyo-cafe.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. the rosu katsudon looks scrumptious! i haven't been to this resto yet...i thought i have tried anything at Megamall. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That price are not that bad. I do like to explore different cuisine and seems like Manila has everything now. Wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    Fresh Miki

    ReplyDelete
  4. very clean restaurant :-) is this an Italian Restaurant? the noodles looks delish too :-) Visiting for FTF, hope that you can return the favor too.


    http://www.adventurousjessy.com/2011/12/we-had-ham-on-christmas-eve.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonding with girl friends and delicious food: perfect combination! I'd love to try that so tender Chicken Katsu, too! Here's my FTF entry: http://www.delightmyappetite.com/2011/12/food-trip-friday-chefs-quarter/

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!!foodie overload!!!
    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh, looks like this is a place that my family will love, too!

    thanks so much for sharing over at Food Friday, Ms. Lynn
    Happy New Year!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete