Saturday, March 12, 2011

So I Learned.....

I want to master the art of homemaking. Why not? I can do it. As a working mom, I've put this in the sidelight for so long but now, I'd like to be a good homemaker, a very, very good homemaker. I am quite at home with cooking which I started around two years ago. I'm starting on the basic household chores lately. I don't want to be a weekend homemaker anymore.


Three things I have learned today about being keen on details when it comes to laundry, choosing fruits - bananas in this particular instance, and portioning for our daily menu.

This should be all common sense but well more often than not, some things get better with practice. Now I know.

I know that colored clothes should not be washed together with white. That's a no-brainer. But I didn't know that some fabrics are vulnerable to getting stained. That's what happened this afternoon. I put all the colored clothes in one tub only to discover one of my favorite off-shoulder top got a red stain as well as one of my favorite gym shirt but the rest of the clothes did not get the nasty stain.

Why didn't I learn this from our laundry shop? It goes to show I really need to understand and remember important details even for things I don't do everyday.

So I learned that I should not in any way mix any red shirt with the rest of the clothes. And that there are certain fabrics which are susceptible to stains. This I have to research more.

I bought a bunch of bananas at the wet market before going home this afternoon. I discovered that one of them bananas is actually rotten.

So I learned I should inspect each fruit for freshness.

I noticed...well, the hubby too, that when I am the one cooking or preparing our food, we always end up consuming them for two days, and can extend to three. I always over estimate what we can only eat. We practically eat for breakfast and dinner only, before leaving the house in the morning and when we are all together at night.

So I learned that just a little over 1/4 of beef and vegetables, only 3-4 pieces of medium sized fish will be enough for all of us.

Am I acting like a Superwoman? Do I want to be a Stepford Wife? No. I just want to be great at something which will mean taking care of my family every step of the way.

***Photo is from Getty Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment