Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Privacy Setting: For All the World to See

This makes me wonder. A lot of people in my Facebook account, and in my husband's, post pictures without even thinking who will really get to see them. I did add a few people who are under what I called Network and Media. Network for obvious reasons, they post updates on technology, legit business opportunities, running events, and the like. We don't know each other from Adam but I get to network with them online. They don't get to see any of my pictures and maybe 99% of my status.

But some of them seem not to care that even if I don't know them personally (and maybe half of their contacts) they still make pictures of their families and events which are private (example, wedding of their friends or relatives) visible to me. They post pictures of kids. They also post status which the whole Facebook world need not know. There is such a thing as "customize" in Facebook.

It's fine with me. I don't get annoyed even if my news feed is flooded with albums of people under my network list. I accepted their request or for some I was the one who added them so I should't complain what kind of Facebook user they are. I don't really check their pictures and most often than not, I click the X mark. I am only interested with the pictures of my family and close friends.

I'm a little worried for them though. What if among the thousands (and more) in their contacts just copy their pictures and use them for something else. Some pictures even show plate number of cars, house number, the children's schools, their work place, etcetera. Be discreet people. Edit, edit, edit.

Well maybe there are people who are comfortable being in the "limelight". They found a convenient stage in Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I'm a recent joiner to the group Food Trip Friday.(last week).

    I agree with you on this Facebook privacy issue.

    A person should always go into their account and choose friends only as the option as to who sees their status and images.
    I don't want the whole world to have access and copy my photos either.

    Your most important point is being careful not to include address numbers in photos, etc.

    ReplyDelete