Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2

After nine days my daughter and I finally watched Breaking Dawn 2.  We are both not die-hard fans of The Twilight Saga but we like them.  My daughter likes Taylor Lautner.  I like the story of Edward and Bella and the rest of the Cullens and the human Charlie and the kids in the first movie, Twilight.

One good "find" in this saga is Anna Kendrick.  I like her as Jessica in Twilight, Bella's frenemy.  I love her as Natalie Keener in George Clooney's Up in the Air.  She's so good.


Save for the fight of the Cullens and their vampire allies against the Volturis, this last installment of Breaking Dawn I consider light compared to previous movies, Eclipse and New Moon specifically.

I don't gush about the books/movies but there's nothing in The Twilight Saga that I don't like.  I take each book as it is, a fictional tale of a mortal and a vampire who fell in love with each other along with the complications that go with it.  Nothing profound. It just wants to entertain. And yes, I was entertained.

I felt sad the saga has ended.  I could just imagine the super fans of Edward Cullen and Bella Swan.

What I like about Breaking Dawn 2:
1.  It's humor.
2.  The new characters.
3.  The cinematography.
4.  I find the child, Renesmee,  mysterious and beautiful but a little creepy at some point.
5.  The great fight between the Cullens/Vampire Allies and the Volturis.

I downloaded all Twilight books from the site of a famous radio and television personality a few years ago. I enjoyed reading them all.  Eclipse is my favorite up to now.  But I did not finish Breaking Dawn, the book. I was disgusted on the first few chapters taking up the intimacy between Bella and Edward. No, it has nothing to do with "morality" issues as they were already married here. Just that the book took too much space for this. I just wanted to move on, haha.  I stopped reading.

Watching Breaking Dawn the movie, part 1, was a lot better. At least the movie gave each scene more creativity and yes, the cinematography was still breathtaking.  As in all books turned movies, it just choose highlights and let go of too many unimportant details that's why I appreciated the movie this time more than the book, at least for Breaking Dawn.

Comes now Breaking Dawn part 2.  I enjoyed watching it with my daughter.

I also like the OST (official soundtrack) of the movie.  I think this is the first time that I took notice of what's playing on the background.  Even Bella's Lullaby in Twilight did not make me swoon, haha.

I like Christina Perri's A Thousand Years. It just suits the scenes very well. :)


I told my daughter it's sad that the saga has ended.  A few minutes later she said, "I started being a tween during the Twilight years...Twilight was part of my tween years." It was like she was recalling how it was when she started liking Taylor Lautner during her late tween years.  She was already a big Nickelodeon fan - Hannah Montana, The Suite Life of Zac and Cody, Raven, etc - and of course, Justin Bieber, even before Taylor Lautner came into the picture.

My daughter is fourteen, officially a teenager since a year ago.  Nostalgic. So Twilight is like the end of an era for some.  Oh but that's forcing it, haha. Let me settle with the end of their being tweens. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment