Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Up in the Air


.....consummate modern business traveler who, after years of staying happily airborne, suddenly finds himself ready to make a real connection.

Ryan has long been contented with his unencumbered lifestyle lived out across America in airports, hotels and rental cars. He can carry all he needs in one wheel-away case; he's a pampered, elite member of every travel loyalty program in existence; and he's close to attaining his lifetime goal of 10 million frequent flyer miles - and yet...Ryan has nothing real to hold onto. (Up in the Air)
Reading that snippet of Up in the Air made me very interested to watch the movie. Why? Because I can identify with what was written, except that I am very much connected to people :) I love the fast-phased life, a life always on the go. I wondered then what could Up in the Air has to offer me? Will I learn a thing or two, would I be able to identify myself with the character?

I was excited to watch it to see how the story will go. George Clooney is also someone great to watch in the big screen. As the story unfolds, I see how different the character is from mine except for the fact that we both love zooming in and out, dashing to and fro.

I love the story though. We all want to get connected one way or another. There will come a time when we look for a warm body to talk to, to spend the day with, enjoy conversations and eventually fall in love with. But sad to say things are not always what it seems to be.

You may be ready but the other party is not, and never will be. "You are an escape. You are a parenthesis." Ouch, that will surely hurt.

Anyway, I love the fact that the women here are Ryan Bingham's (George's character) greatest challenge. Natialie (Anna Kendrick), a young and idealistic co-employee who is out to prove that her cost-efficient initiative of downsizing a company through conference call will benefit the organization, is surprisingly great. A far cry from her Twilight stint as Bella's friend.

I didn't recognize her at first because she acted so well. She deserved that best actress nomination.

Alex (Vera Farmiga), is Ryan Bingham's match. Sleek, cunning, sexy, intelligent. But she can't be more that what she is for him.

I just find it odd that there is a motivational speech about a life free of relationships with people and things. With things, that can be possible. But with people? And it's more odd because there are people who pays to listen for this kind of "motivational speech". This is what Ryan Bingham does on the side, "What's In Your Backpack"?

I still think this movie should have won the Oscar Best Picture award. It has heart, mind and humor.

2 comments:

  1. i am excited to see this one.. where did you get to watch it? :) anyway, hope to catch it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's showing today, Chris. :)

    ReplyDelete