Sunday, February 14, 2010

Non-Valentine's Day

Traffic is heavy during this time of the year. I remember when I was in graduate school 90% of classes were suspended because only two to three students (and even faculty members) were present in most classes. Some were in the middle of the traffic and a lot preferred to skip class and celebrate V Day. I was dumbfounded that even graduate school is caught up in this Valentine craze.

Anyway, I don't have expectations on Valentine's Day. My husband does not celebrate this day because it is not a practice in our religion. When we were in college I asked him why he was not like other men who at least give a token on Valentine's Day. Sure I was not into flowers and Valentine dates but I want my man to at least show some lovin' mushiness on Valentine's Day. That was when he explained to me the reason. Valentine came from St. Valentine and saints we do not have.

As for me, I am not to keen on roses and chocolates as gifts even from admirers or ex-boyfriends back then. I love flowers and chocolates that's for sure but they do not take my breath away when I receive them for this occasion. I don't know, maybe the practical side of me always win at that time. I would prefer to receive a good book or a cassette tape of my favorite band. But I never got any of that. Instead I always receive cards with cheesy dedications. Haha. But that's better than roses and chocolates. That's more personal which I prefer.

How about now that I am in midlife, what do I prefer? Simple joys that last a lifetime.

What's going to happen tonight? We will just have dinner somewhere just because, that is if everyone won't get lazy going out.

***Picture used in this post is from Getty Images.

2 comments:

  1. we dont celebrate it either! :D

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're not alone then. :) Have a great Sunday too.

    ReplyDelete