Saturday, October 13, 2007

Smelly


Today's hunt is anything "smelly". Let me post something which has a strong, fishy odor. What do you know, it's a fish. Others do not like the smell of this specially while it's being cooked. They find it too strong and the smell lingers and sticks to one's clothes long after the frying is done. Me, I like the smell of cooked dried fish. It wets my appetite.

My favorite part is the head. Eeeeww, I can hear some of the readers saying that :D But well, that part of the fish is the most tasty. I don't have any scientific explanation why.



One of the traditional breakfasts of Filipinos are scrambled eggs, milk/coffee, sinangag (fried rice) and tuyo (salted dried herring). Tuyo is the Tagalog term for dry. There are many kinds of dried fish but tuyo is the most popular for breakfast. I am familiar with tuyo variants such as tonsoy and lapad which I buy in packs in supermarkets. Mind you though, there are pastas which use dried salted fish flakes as one of the main ingredients. My husband loves tuyo in olive oil, garlic and some chilies.

Healthy lifestyle is popular nowadays and that is good. There's fresh fruits, oatmeal, wheat bread for breakfast. But generally, Filipinos are rice eaters that even during breakfast, expect a plateful of rice in most households. And expect tuyo to always be a part of a typical Filipino breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment