Sunday, June 27, 2010

I Have a Strong Fascination with the Grocery

Doing the grocery is one of my favorite activities in the world. Yes, I do this mostly with the family every week, on a Sunday, after church. Sometimes I have to do some groceries too during the mid-week when there are stocks which need replenishments. I do this alone after work or whatever activity I had during the day. This means I have to rush, beat the traffic, carry the grocery bag(s) all by myself, line up on the taxi lane and take a cab (if husband won't be able to pick me up which is what happens most of the time). I don't mind at all. The level of anticipation is like I cannot wait to get myself a reward after a long day.



The excitement builds up from listing the things we need (and well, yes, also a few things we want). I also get excited when I read a recipe I would like to try from my favorite foodie magazine. It makes me want to leave whatever I am doing and head to the grocery pronto.

I am trying to "analyze" a bit why I have this weird fascination about going to the grocery and picking/choosing each item with passion. I think it's because.....

* I feel so much a family woman when I am in the grocery and choosing food for my family. I feel so much like a mom and a wife. I get to attend to their needs, nutritional and otherwise.
* I am always on the look out for good buys which my family could use.
* More often than not, this is a family activity so it's time for bonding.
* I get to prepare and choose what they need for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner.
* I read labels up to the minutest details. One of the ways of educating my family of what's in the food we are eating.

Coming from the grocery, the first thing I do when I get home even before I change clothes is I neatly put up all the groceries in their proper places. It has to be FIFO for one (first in, first out). I want everything organize - in the cold storage, in the cupboard, in the breadbox.

I feel so fulfilled doing all these - listing the grocery items, grocery itself, organizing the items, planning the menu. And then I mentally account when I should replenish. Weekend or mid-week? Sometimes I still go to the grocery even if there is no urgent item that is needed. Maybe in my past life I was a supermarket mogul?

Family, friends and colleagues I have close encounters with know that it's my dream to own a grocery shop. Let me start with a mini mart, hopefully soon. For now, I am enjoying my trips to the supermarket.

*Picture from Getty Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment