Friday, November 30, 2007

The Big Switch


I thought it will be a hard cross over. I was having apprehensions if the family will be able to follow what I want. It is for everyone's good anyway so I took the plunge.


From white to brown. My husband and I are taking note of our food intake. I must admit it is both for health and vanity's sake. We still love eating out but we are conscious of what we are having. We are limiting our rice to one cup per meal and we don't take rice at night. It's either oats or a little serving of pasta. Our fish and vegetable diet at most times of the week has been going on for quite a long time now. It's the rice intake that we have to manage. Since we cannot totally avoid it, I thought of the brown rice.

Brown rice is actually white rice but the the bran remains which is high in fiber which as we all know, is good for our body. From my readings, we need at least 25 grams of fiber daily. Brown rice gives around 3 grams as opposed to white rice's less than a gram. Generally, because of its mineral contents, brown rice helps control blood sugar and cholesterol. The process of making brown rice to white rice largely reduces its nutrients.

I was warned that brown rice is bland in taste. If one is used to white rice (jasmin rice especially) then it is really a big leap to brown rice. I can add salt or pair it with sauces to perk up the taste. Fortunately, I don't have to apply those. We like its chewiness and we don't find it bland at all.

I learned it takes longer to cook. This did not pose as a concern since I don't normally cook at the last minute. Also, brown rice is said to have shorter shelf life than white rice. It develops rancid flavor when not kept properly. Just ensure you have an airtight container and it is kept in a cooler place to keep its fresh state.

I did not find any disadvantage in going brown, only its benefits. There is no hassle at all. I believe the next big switch is on brown sugar and brown bread. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment